Emt School (life)

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Hello all,

My name is Greg and I am going to EMT school in S. Fl. I am not new to this forum but I have not been a very active poster. B)

I am 28yrs old and I have a wife and a 4 yr old son who can't wait for his dad to get back on the fire truck. I did some volunteering when I was . After going to school for computers and getting my AA I found out I was still always looking at those fire trucks and ALS BOXERS going by. I had quit the whole process when I was younger because of my son being born and just life, so here I am going back to school for it. YAY!

I do not know what board to post this in so please move this if I am doing this in the wrong spot.

I`ve seen a lot of posts about what to expect and what you do in emt-b school. I plan on makeing this an online journal of my emt school events/mistakes. Is this a good idea? I plan on writing on what I am doing in school and what I did on rides along. Hopefully people that are in school or want to go to emt school will get most of their questions answered. I hope many of the people working in the ems field will give me your input and help!

I am sure this might bore some people but I am sure mistakes, comments and some sense of humor will help out. Please give me some feedback before I start posting.

18G

Paramedic
Sounds like a great idea to share all your experiences through EMT school. Best of luck and look forward to hearing about your experiences.

s4l

Forum Probie
Sounds like a great idea to share all your experiences through EMT school. Best of luck and look forward to hearing about your experiences.

This. Good luck!

OP
OP
L

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Actually after talking this over with a few people I might not beable to do this. It was not my intent to give up names or even talk bad about anyone but some comments or mishaps could be miss inturpeded. I could just say patient bob or rescue 911 or somthing to fill in gabs. I just wanted to write something postive to help people out and solve some question about EMT school. Still havent made up my mind.

Angel

Paramedic
HIPAA is not an issue so long as you dont include pt names or addresses, any identifying info will get you in trouble; not any other school related info.

ethomas9449

Forum Probie
Ask anything you want, I'm new but from what my experiences have taught me from this forum everyone here will answer to their best knowledge and help you succeed. This site helped me with many problems I had with tests and such. They won't steer you wrong.

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
For the first few weeks of my EMT-B class I kept a running log on a blog (thelittlestemt.blogspot.com) only I kind of forgot to keep updating and wound up giving up -- but if you want to take a peek at how I did it you can feel free. I never had a problem with anyone getting upset.

If you want to talk about a patient you deal with on clinicals, keep it vague. For example, my first trauma: A young woman who took a tumble from an ATV and broke her pelvis. This gives no one any way to identify her, no way for HER to know who she is if I also want to comment on her, etcetera.

As far as teacher/classes: my teacher, and classmates, are never once identified by name.

Enjoy. ^_- I LOVED my EMT-B class. I in fact changed my whole career path to EMT which was funny since I didn't even WANT to take EMT-B when I started.

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
Absolutely. I am sure most of us would enjoy hearing form you, and there is a wealth of knowelegde here on this site.

I look forward to hearing form you.

OP
OP
L

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
After thinking long in hard about this I am going to go for it. Some warning before reading or being interested in this. I suck at writing things down and my grammar sucks when I write to fast. I know this w needs to be fixed for my career in EMS so who knows =) So here we go!!

1st day
So I walk in the class on my first day and the first thing I see is that the class is actually small. I am happy about this because my last EMT class was huge 40 plus students. The class seems very nervous with each other and there are a few kids who are already trying to calm people down.(joking around)

The day goes by pretty quick because I am trying to get to know people and the instructors are telling us what to expect. I wonder how many kids in the class have seen very bad car crashes or have done cpr on someone who is dying. In my last EMT class we had about 10 people drop out by the end of the 1/2 way point because of grades or EMS stress as people call it. The main instructor gets on the kids subject and I think to myself wondering how I will do when scraping up a kid on the free way. I know I can perform my duties as I have before but a lot of people are nervous on this self question.

We go over some basics like taking pulses and counting respiration rates. We have 45min of class left and we take some notes on scene safety, PPE and the ABC + D. I am happy I'm finally doing this again and I get home and read the first 5 chapters of my book.

Day 2.
Today we went over CPR and there seemed to be a lot of people who just went through CPR training. I try to show off my skills to the instructor and pretend to call for ALS. My pt is face first in there chicken nuggets and she's not responding .

Scene safety and BSI I call out. I seem to do a good job but somehow I was more nervous pretending than if I was performing CPR in real life. We do some more CPR labs and everyone seems to be having fun. The instructors give us some more war stories and we are now down with day two.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Legion,

Sounds good so far - what's your class schedule like? Is it full time or part time?