Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
Hey! Student at Kapiolani Community College, Oahu, HI. I want to get into the Fall 2017 EMT Program which only has 16 seats per semester here and I'm currently doing the pre-reqs. I want to have some type of knowledge before getting accepted (hopefully). Any tips or what to study or anything? It will be a rigorous course and I want to be a little ready. I have an aspiration one day to become a Paramedic/Firefighter :) Thanks guys!!

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
I took their EMT class a few years ago, some of this might be out of date. It is challenging but as long as you study you'll do fine. The best thing (in my opinion) is to get the highest grades possible in the prerequisites. This will give you a good background and increase your chances of getting in.

I volunteered at Queens in the emergency department for about 9 months. They like to see that you've got experience in healthcare. It also helps get you comfortable around emergency patients (no direct patient care, though).

Once you're accepted, they'll have orientation and give you a list of things to look over. When I did it we had a test the first day on the study guide. It was mostly an anatomy and physiology review with some medication information, approved abbreviations for City and County EMS and medical terminology. It probably wouldn't hurt to review before orientation, but you can wait until orientation if you feel comfortable with the material.

Other than that, once you're in the class, study the skills as early as possible. I didn't start as early as I should have and it made skills testing stressful. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

OP
OP
Ziiiiziiii

Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
Okay so for the pre req I did my ENG 100 2 years ago in HS and i got a B, and now Im taking HEALTH 125 this upcoming semester. I dont have a volunteer experience because all the slots were filled, so i have this volunteer thing for my high school alumni, which is required to have a lifeguard certificate which I learned basic CPR and i forgot the other one, would that count? How about the Interview? How was it? Thank you so much for your reply, means alot

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
No worries! I had a hard time finding information too when I applied.

I think they care the most about anatomy and physiology and medical terminology. I don't think a B in would hurt your chances of getting in. As long as you passed I wouldn't retake a course. I know a few EMT's, now paramedics, that got C's and still got in. It's always nice to have a little gpa cushion.

There was a guy in my class that was a lifeguard with Ocean Safety, it helped him during skills testing. Personally, I think it's good experience and should help. If you can, take BLS for healthcare providers (American Heart Association) It's just CPR plus a few other things added on at the end. It's offered at KCC. You could also try volunteering at Straub, Kapiolani Pali Momi or the women and children's hospital.

The interview was pretty straightforward. There were about 5-6 people on the panel from City and County EMS, HFD, Hickman Federal FD and KCC. They asked stuff like "why do you want to be an EMT" it was similar to a job interview. The prerequisites and the interview are kind of the main things they base your overall score on. KCC's program is intense but it's worth it.

Also, if he's still teaching, try to take anatomy with Prof. Matsuda. I liked his class.

OP
OP
Ziiiiziiii

Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
What's your thoughts about going to Canada for the Paramedic Program? Cause somewhere along my life I've always wanted to move there

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I don't know too much about Canadian EMS certification. I moved to the mainland after my EMT class and it was kind of annoying to get the certification to transfer over. Just a lot of extra work. I know there are some paramedics from Canada that might be able to help you better than I can. Personally, I think it's easier to get trained where you want to work. It might be a long paperwork process to try to get reciprocity internationally.