EMT-P training in Alberta, Canada

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Personally I'm thinking about taking my EMT at Portage College in Lac La Biche.

Portage is a good school - I have a lot of friends that went there.

Also rural Alberta especially near the mountains is some of the most beautiful country you will ever see. Northern Alberta is especially nice to see.

Agreed! Jasper and Banff are absolutely beautiful places to see. I try to get down there at least a couple times a year to take it all in.

StrokedOut

Forum Crew Member
Are you kidding me, I make $15 an hour as a brand new EMR (not even EMT) at a rural station with an annual call volume of ~200 - and in my interview, they stated at least twice that their wages are "below average but under review." I'm pretty happy with getting a minimum of $170 per day for studying for my EMT course and surfing the net - it's the best-paid job I've had to date, AND I hardly do anything.

Really? A brand new EMR isn't even an EMT? Ya don't say ...

Unfortunately as an EMR, you can't really do a lot (by law) anyhow. If you plan on being a good EMT and/or pursuing your paramedicine at some point, you'd need to get on with a service that actually has a call volume to get some experience seeing as how you "hardly do anything".

Last edited by a moderator:

StrokedOut

Forum Crew Member

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Good time to be an EMT with Edmonton, the new hire EMT's are starting at $24.29/hour.

That's the problem... They pay EMT's too much they have no incentive to pay 20 grand to get their Medic so now we're short on medics!

Edmonton isn't as Desperate as Calgary... from what I understand they were paying tuition for EMT's to get their medic.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
You have no time to practice and become confident enough in your skills at a BLS level before you move on to ALS skills. Most medic schools require, as a minimum, one year of experience working at the BLS level before they will even consider your application.

The best medic schools in Alberta - NAIT, SAIT and PMA, hands down.

This is also the subject of another thread in emtlife. whether one has to have bls experience before going to medic school. Some say yes you can skip being an EMT and some say one has to be an EMT before going to medic school to get some BLS experience. Personally I'd rather bean EMT before going to medic school. That way I could probably work part time as an EMT while going to medic school. Personally I'd much rather see the paramedic programs go from a 2 yr diploma to a 4 yr BSc degree. That just my opinion.

StrokedOut

Forum Crew Member
That's the problem... They pay EMT's too much they have no incentive to pay 20 grand to get their Medic so now we're short on medics!

Edmonton isn't as Desperate as Calgary... from what I understand they were paying tuition for EMT's to get their medic.

$20,000?? Yeah if you go to PMA. First year tuition at Portage is under $4500 not including books. NAIT isn't even $20,000.

And you're wrong about the city paying tuition for EMT's to get their medics. Future paramedics who work for Edmonton EMS can be paid while on their final ALS ambulance practicum (currently), while completing it in the city. Not sure where you're getting your information from there ... Exactly where did you hear that one city is more desperate than the next? Both have hired brand new EMT's with absolutely no experience whatsoever and 19 years old, just out of ACP with a shiny new 40#. Ridiculous if you ask me.

And it's not that they pay their EMT's too much either, Kendall. When you've been employed somewhere for years and years you'll be making more than entry level of course. So why wouldn't an EMT who has been with the city or ANY service for that matter not be making more than an entry level EMT?

jochi1543

Forum Captain

I don't think Calgary pays tuition for any of their EMTs who are doing EMT-P, BUT they do select something like 10 of them a year, and those 10 get paid by the City while doing their EMT-P practicum shifts, when normally practicums would be unpaid. However, I've heard from a few people who have worked for the City of Calgary that it's NOT that great of a place to work.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Really? A brand new EMR isn't even an EMT? Ya don't say ...

Unfortunately as an EMR, you can't really do a lot (by law) anyhow. If you plan on being a good EMT and/or pursuing your paramedicine at some point, you'd need to get on with a service that actually has a call volume to get some experience seeing as how you "hardly do anything".

I think you're missing the point, it's extremely difficult to get an ambulance service job being an EMR, so I'm very lucky, I could go to the oilfields and make more $, but I opted for that rural service because I actually have some patients, whereas in the oilfields, I'd have even fewer calls. But thanks for the uninformed advice.:wacko:

StrokedOut

Forum Crew Member
I think you're missing the point, it's extremely difficult to get an ambulance service job being an EMR, so I'm very lucky, I could go to the oilfields and make more $, but I opted for that rural service because I actually have some patients, whereas in the oilfields, I'd have even fewer calls. But thanks for the uninformed advice.:wacko:

I'd be willing to bet I've been in the field for a lot longer than you, which means I'm a little more informed than you obviously are. I worked as a little EMR for a little rural service as well, it's not that hard to find one that hires them. Only thing is, as an EMR you're getting S.F.A. for experience (especially with an annual volume of 200 calls) because there's nothing in the scope for EMR's except for BGL's and bandaids. It's why the much smaller services have to hire EMR's, most EMT's would rather go where the calls are. Also, southern Alberta has very little in the way of on-car jobs for EMR's. As for any one particular place being a crappy place to work, you should know that you'll always find people with both good and bad things to say.

Which brings me to another point ... As I am sure you will learn, this industry eats their young. Expect to have to prove yourself, especially as a brand new EMT. Just because you might end up with a 40# (or a 41# depending on if/when you write), doesn't mean a more experienced EMT or medic won't feel like they have to jump in on your calls from time to time. Swallow the attitude you have now, as it will only get in your way later.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I'd be willing to bet I've been in the field for a lot longer than you, which means I'm a little more informed than you obviously are. I worked as a little EMR for a little rural service as well, it's not that hard to find one that hires them. Only thing is, as an EMR you're getting S.F.A. for experience (especially with an annual volume of 200 calls) because there's nothing in the scope for EMR's except for BGL's and bandaids. It's why the much smaller services have to hire EMR's, most EMT's would rather go where the calls are. Also, southern Alberta has very little in the way of on-car jobs for EMR's. As for any one particular place being a crappy place to work, you should know that you'll always find people with both good and bad things to say.

Which brings me to another point ... As I am sure you will learn, this industry eats their young. Expect to have to prove yourself, especially as a brand new EMT. Just because you might end up with a 40# (or a 41# depending on if/when you write), doesn't mean a more experienced EMT or medic won't feel like they have to jump in on your calls from time to time. Swallow the attitude you have now, as it will only get in your way later.

First, you criticize my workplace, then you admit these are the only opportunities for EMRs, anyway, then you say you have more experience than me, then you say I have attitude after all this....like the t-shirt I once had said, "And your point is...?" I never asked for your input to begin with. Kthanxbye.

StrokedOut

Forum Crew Member
First, you criticize my workplace, then you admit these are the only opportunities for EMRs, anyway, then you say you have more experience than me, then you say I have attitude after all this....like the t-shirt I once had said, "And your point is...?" I never asked for your input to begin with. Kthanxbye.

Oh little EMR ... wouldn't I love to be your preceptor :)

Seeing as how this is a public forum, one generally doesn't ASK for input. It's just given. If you don't want comments made to something you've said, don't say anything at all.

And as I said, lose the attitude now because it WILL only hurt you in the future. You'll be doing yourself a big favor. This industry eats their young, especially those with crappy little attitudes. GET USED TO IT.

Have a nice day :D

StrokedOut

Forum Crew Member
It's EMT check your registry card. Here is a link to the ACoP site it makes no mention of EMT-A. It does mention EMR, EMT, and EMT-P.
http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/pages/AboutACP/default.aspx

Wow that's such an important thing, one little vowel. I don't think I'll be 'checking my registry card' anytime soon as I know what my job is. It's one of those teeny weeny little things that some people think is important. Who cares? And thanks, I know where the ACP website is seeing as how I used to work for them.

OP
OP
McFly

McFly

Forum Probie
Hey guys, we finally made it to Canada (and more specifically, Calgary) about eight months ago. As someone previously posted, it sure was a long *** flight! :p

Anyway, I took my first step towards becoming a paramedic this weekend by taking the SFA and CPR course at SAIT. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm hoping to enroll in the EMR program time and money permitting. It sure is difficult to try and plan a career change late in life.

Will keep you all updated. ;)

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
hey guys, we finally made it to canada (and more specifically, calgary) about eight months ago. As someone previously posted, it sure was a long *** flight! :p

anyway, i took my first step towards becoming a paramedic this weekend by taking the sfa and cpr course at sait. I thoroughly enjoyed it and i'm hoping to enroll in the emr program time and money permitting. It sure is difficult to try and plan a career change late in life.

Will keep you all updated. ;)

good luck mcfly!

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
And as I said, lose the attitude now because it WILL only hurt you in the future. You'll be doing yourself a big favor. This industry eats their young, especially those with crappy little attitudes. GET USED TO IT.

crappy attitude indeed...

wehttam

Forum Probie
This is also the subject of another thread in emtlife. whether one has to have bls experience before going to medic school. Some say yes you can skip being an EMT and some say one has to be an EMT before going to medic school to get some BLS experience. Personally I'd rather bean EMT before going to medic school. That way I could probably work part time as an EMT while going to medic school. Personally I'd much rather see the paramedic programs go from a 2 yr diploma to a 4 yr BSc degree. That just my opinion.

Let see if i want to become a dr hmmmm do i need to gain experience after my first degree? i think not. they do an internship at the end of the program BLS is not rocket science dont understand why you guys believe or act as if it is the hardest thing on this planet.