EMT-P training in Alberta, Canada

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
But that has changed within the last few years. The difficulty coming into BC that I experienced is that BC PCP standards are higher than anywhere else, only in-line with Alberta.

This doesn't make any sense to me. How is a 4 month PCP course higher standards than anywhere else? Ontario is two years full time for PCP. Most of the rest of the country is one year. My understanding in that BC has the shortest PCP program in the country.

As far as pay... Ontario wages are between $30 and $38/hr. All services professional, no standby pay and good parity with PD and FD.

BC's a great spot to live (one of the best in the country, save cost of living), but the system needs a tonne of work.

Anyways, welcome to Canada McFly. Good look with school and hopefully by the time your done the transition in Alberta will have stabilized. Don't want to come onto any job during a transition that big.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
It all depends which service you get on with and whether it is unionized or not. I am a PCP in SK and I make $23.77/hr. So it just depends but Alberta can be a bit of a pain but still worth it in the end!

smurfe

EMS Educator
Also to the original poster, I hear nait and sait are ok.... I am currently however taking my schooling at the Canadian College of Emergency Medical Services here in Edmonton. It is a *FANTASTIC* school, absolutely amazing, they prepare you very well, it is a private funded school so the entrance requirements aren't quite as anal retentive, and when it comes to provincial exams CCEMS (my school) always falls usually within the top 3 highest scores in the province.

I have precepted a few people from this school. Overall they are very prepared when they hit my truck. Yeah, there have been a few boneheads but overall a really talented group. What I can't understand is why someone would travel from Alberta to Louisiana for provisional time.

xlq771

Forum Probie
Smurfe,

How are the EMT students from CCEMS precepted? The scope of practice in Alberta is different than the Louisiana EMT-Basic or Intermediate scopes. How are they able to meet all their required competancy's - ie. ECG, IV, symptom relief?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Smurfe,

How are the EMT students from CCEMS precepted? The scope of practice in Alberta is different than the Louisiana EMT-Basic or Intermediate scopes. How are they able to meet all their required competancy's - ie. ECG, IV, symptom relief?

I think CCEMS probably does meet it. They are an approved EMR and EMT program from the Alberta College of Paramedics You would think that they would meet the scope of practice in Alberta.

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
fortsmithman, I don't think thats what he was talking about... He was referring to the Albertan CCEMS EMT student's scope not aligning with the Louisiana state protocols.

I know a handful of the students who did their practicums down there and they all have nothing but positive things to say, and there were no issues with scope alignment - they had to be on an ALS car, so that the EMT-P could supervise the restricted procedures, and they needed approval from the medical director. Sounds like a neat gig they've got going there.

smurfe

EMS Educator
Well, an ambulance call is an ambulance call. Chest pain is chest pain so it isn't a hard process. Basically we have a list of every approved skill and drug they can administer. If they have been trained on the drug or procedure and it is within our protocols, they can do it on the truck here.

The most important ALS skill any paramedic can do can be done on any ambulance world wide. That is a competent BLS patient assessment. If you can't do a good BLS assessment, you will never be a good or should I say competent paramedic. I tell this to every student I precept. I don't care how many drug pushes, IV's, Intubations, etc. they get. All I care about is seeing them assess the patient head to toe and turn and tell me what they think is wrong with the patient along with proper BLS treatment. Then take your learned ALS skills and treat the patient.

Local students that ride their entire time with me don't even get to do an ALS skill until they prove to me they are a good EMT Basic. For those of you that say "I am just a B take note. The Basic class IS that important and you are allowed to do the most important an serious and hardest ALS skill there is.