EMT-P questions

HartenJ

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here can give me some better insight into the field of para-medicine. I'm currently a 27 year old attending the university for engineering, and I don't really like the direction the engineering field is heading. However, a few years ago I took an EMT-B class and loved it. I'm strongly considering obtaining a BS degree in para-medicine (EMT-P) (our university offers it with specialization in clinical care, management/admin, or teaching).

I spoke with my uncle whom is a cardiologist and also is on the EMS board for a rural area. He says that the field of para-medicine is changing and actually becoming "dumbed down". He explained that the EMS system is shifting generally to focus more on policy and protocol (i.e. reading computer interpretations of EKG versus actually learning how to read EKG). He said there is no problem solving and that it would probably become extremely boring.

A few questions I hope some of you might answer for me:

1) Do you feel that your abilities to make decisions as a paramedic are becoming more and more limited?

2) Is there truly no problem solving ability required for this field?

3) I'm very hands on oriented, is this field just that?

4) I'm kind of a "jack of all trades" type person. I'm very adaptable to situations, I am very good with technology and used to do tech support (which I loved until they dumbed it down and made me use a computerized diagnostic program). This "dumbing down" concept truly scares me, I need autonomy and the ability to adapt to changing situations. I don't want to read off some stupid diagnostic chart that says "OK, this didn't work, try this" type set-up. Would this field be good for me in these respects?

5) Could some of you give me a day-in-the-life description of a paramedic? What do you do in the downtime? Do you guys just chill and play game-boys or something or what? I really don't know so I'm just taking shots in the dark.

6) What additional advice or suggestions might you give someone like me who is completely new and ignorant to the field?

Thank you so much for reading and for any and all responses. You won't believe how much of a positive potential you might have in really influencing my decision to look deeper into this field.

Best, eagerly awaiting your input.

skyemt

Forum Captain
i can also tell you that Medical Direction in our county is making a push towards further emphasis on EKG reading in the field...

they do want anyone to rely on computer interpretations...

the medics in my system would not agree with your post...

hope that helps...

uscgk9

Forum Crew Member
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

When you use "cardiologist" and "EMS Board" in the same sentence it tells me that your EMS system is broken. I'm willing to bet your uncle really doesn't have a good understanding as what we do in the field nor has he ever operated in the field. In fact the Paramedic Certification is being pushed toward a degree requirement and the powers to be are trying to completly seperate the EMT from the Paramedic. The EMTs and Intermediates will most likely follow more defined protocols while the Paramedic will make Assessment Based Management Judgements and treat accordingly. In short, NO they are not dumming down the Paramedic Program. Many of the older Paramedics most likely would not pass a newer Paramedic test.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I spoke with my uncle whom is a cardiologist and also is on the EMS board for a rural area. He says that the field of para-medicine is changing and actually becoming "dumbed down". He explained that the EMS system is shifting generally to focus more on policy and protocol (i.e. reading computer interpretations of EKG versus actually learning how to read EKG). He said there is no problem solving and that it would probably become extremely boring.
I am a medic student in NYC. We learn to read 12 lead EKGs in the field. There is a ton of problem solving on the BLS which exponetially increases with the responsibility of being a medic.

OP
OP
H

HartenJ

Forum Ride Along
When you use "cardiologist" and "EMS Board" in the same sentence it tells me that your EMS system is broken. I'm willing to bet your uncle really doesn't have a good understanding as what we do in the field nor has he ever operated in the field. In fact the Paramedic Certification is being pushed toward a degree requirement and the powers to be are trying to completely separate the EMT from the Paramedic. The EMTs and Intermediates will most likely follow more defined protocols while the Paramedic will make Assessment Based Management Judgements and treat accordingly. In short, NO they are not dumming down the Paramedic Program. Many of the older Paramedics most likely would not pass a newer Paramedic test.

I know he works in the ER in a heart hospital. He is a doctor though I always assumed he was a cardiologist which may not be true -- I could've been more factual in general, sorry. Furthermore he does hold some sort of administration position for an EMS county within a rural area. I know before he was a doctor he worked as an EMT for both a rural and urban area. He has a good understanding of what they did I think, I would imagine being in administration he should have a general idea, BUT he can be kind of pessimistic at times. Perhaps though our system is broken.

The separation idea sounds great, I wonder if perhaps the separation might also yield down the line with better pay for more responsibility. To my understanding, EMT's of all levels (B to P) are paid poorly in general. Have you any insight into that issue?

i can also tell you that Medical Direction in our county is making a push toward further emphasis on EKG reading in the field...

they do want anyone to rely on computer interpretations...

the medics in my system would not agree with your post...

hope that helps...

What part of my post would be disagreed with? My uncles' "prognosis"?Thanks :)

Also, Thanks for all of these posts. I feel now that the field would employ quite a bit of personal judgment and seems to have a bit of autonomy. I would be in a hands-on based profession. It also seems this field is getting less limited.

I'm SO glad that this field is not being dumbed down. I used to work as a tech at AOL before it all went sour. I was extremely efficient at problem solving until they instituted a program where we literally typed in the customers problem for a step-by-step list of resolutions to try. It was ridiculous and resulted in not only new incompetent trainee's but frustrated repeat callers with the same unresolved issues. It comforts me to know that the EMS field is not tending to something similar. Hopefully no one can argue against this particular understanding, but if you can, go for it! :)

A couple more questions:

1) Being a medic sounds challenging; would most of you say that it is a challenging profession at times? Most of the time? I do love a challenge -- I hate too much monotony.

2) Do any of you think the pay for EMS might increase in the future? I almost considered joining the Fire Dept. or nursing, because the pay is (or seems) greater, but pay isn't everything. I'd like to see this field follow a similar pay increase trend.

Also, to restate the previous stuff that I'd still appreciate answers for:

5) Could some of you give me a day-in-the-life description of a paramedic? What do you do in the downtime? Do you guys just chill and play game-boys or something or what? I really don't know so I'm just taking shots in the dark.

6) What additional advice or suggestions might you give someone like me who is completely new and ignorant to the field? Whats your views on specializing in management/administration or clinical care?

Again, thank you guys for responding. My mind is absolutely ravenous for the knowledge you choose to impart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
When you use "cardiologist" and "EMS Board" in the same sentence it tells me that your EMS system is broken. I'm willing to bet your uncle really doesn't have a good understanding as what we do in the field nor has he ever operated in the field. In fact the Paramedic Certification is being pushed toward a degree requirement and the powers to be are trying to completly seperate the EMT from the Paramedic. The EMTs and Intermediates will most likely follow more defined protocols while the Paramedic will make Assessment Based Management Judgements and treat accordingly. In short, NO they are not dumming down the Paramedic Program. Many of the older Paramedics most likely would not pass a newer Paramedic test.

I agree. There are places that do have "dumb down" but in the recent movement is to increase knowledge with required degree to enter work force. In fact, there are studies demonstrating that many Paramedics in comparison have a higher rate of interpretation than of those of physicians in the Emergency Department.

I ask this, since your Uncle made such statement and he is on the board. How much involvement is he participating to change such matters? The ball is back in his court, if he does not like what he sees, then change it! He definitely, has the power and education to do so! I hope he is proactive, we need more of his caliber and credentials.

If you want to be in EMS, find a good nationally accredited program associated with a college or university degree program. Your uncle would be impressed on how much is really taught in most good programs.

R/r 911

OP
OP
H

HartenJ

Forum Ride Along
I agree. There are places that do have "dumb down" but in the recent movement is to increase knowledge with required degree to enter work force. In fact, there are studies demonstrating that many Paramedics in comparison have a higher rate of interpretation than of those of physicians in the Emergency Department.

I ask this, since your Uncle made such statement and he is on the board. How much involvement is he participating to change such matters? The ball is back in his court, if he does not like what he sees, then change it! He definitely, has the power and education to do so! I hope he is proactive, we need more of his caliber and credentials.

If you want to be in EMS, find a good nationally accredited program associated with a college or university degree program. Your uncle would be impressed on how much is really taught in most good programs.

R/r 911

He is extremely proactive. He is very headstrong and some of the other board members don't like him because he's more a man of substance. He is constantly battling stuff like this but it seems to be an apparently slow process.

I do want to be in EMS, what credentials should I check mostly for? The degree program I am considering is at the University of New Mexico (link: http://hsc.unm.edu/som/emsacad/alspage.shtml). What should I need to ask my advisor? UNM states that it is accredited by the "Committee on Accreditation of EMS Programs". Is there an accreditation website for which I should additionally check?

Last edited by a moderator:

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I am a medic student in NYC. We learn to read 12 lead EKGs in the field. There is a ton of problem solving on the BLS which exponetially increases with the responsibility of being a medic.

Hmmm cant wait to have you on 3 or 5 so i can get an answer that doesnt soind like, "their heart wont crap out yet" hheheh

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
He is extremely proactive. He is very headstrong and some of the other board members don't like him because he's more a man of substance. He is constantly battling stuff like this but it seems to be an apparently slow process.

I do want to be in EMS, what credentials should I check mostly for? The degree program I am considering is at the University of New Mexico (link: http://hsc.unm.edu/som/emsacad/alspage.shtml). What should I need to ask my advisor? UNM states that it is accredited by the "Committee on Accreditation of EMS Programs". Is there an accreditation website for which I should additionally check?

UNM is a well known program, I have lectured there. As well as there off site courses. when looking for accreditation look for the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP) and Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) seal. In which UNM has been approved. You will not regret taking courses from such institutions. I am sure they will assign an EMS advisor and counselor to assist in designing your tract.

I am glad your Uncle is a promoter and with your exposure will only surely enlighten and you will be able to give more insight.

Good luck in your endeavour, and let us know how it is going!

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Remote Medic - Instructor

Forum Ride Along
it is what you make of it

I would like to say that like many jobs, paramedicine is what you make of it. I have worked with 'cookbook' medics who were quite happy following a protocol with no thought of their own! I have also worked with very proactive dedicated paramedics who constantly work to improve their knowledge and skills. If you look for work in a system with a progressive medical director then there is a lot that you can do as a paramedic. I had a progressive instructor when I went to paramedic school who insisted that we learn pharmacology to understand what was going on with the patient not just 'oh wheezes... that means albuterol....." I since have pursued remote medicine and that may be an option for you, especially as it is a growing field. I worked in the Gulf of Mexico on a ship as the sole medical provider. I had limited equipment and direction as communications were sketchy at times. I am currently working in CO on top of a mountain supporting a few drilling rigs and all supporting personnel as the sole medical provider. It is a unique challenge. There are special training opportunites for remote medicine and you can find expanded protocols on a routine basis. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck, Shawn G.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
1) Do you feel that your abilities to make decisions as a paramedic are becoming more and more limited?
No, not yet thats why medic school still take time to do. some things become second nature and it feels that way...but no there are always critical decisions to make.

2) Is there truly no problem solving ability required for this field?
HAHAHAHA, no. it is like fixing, stabilizing or quickly diagnosing something that you cannot see...it's a riot.

3) I'm very hands on oriented, is this field just that?
you got it buddy, if you can do this without hands on then....dam. as a medic you are always hands on when you want to be...other than that your hands are just on...the steering wheel.

4) I'm kind of a "jack of all trades" type person. I'm very adaptable to situations, I am very good with technology and used to do tech support (which I loved until they dumbed it down and made me use a computerized diagnostic program). This "dumbing down" concept truly scares me, I need autonomy and the ability to adapt to changing situations. I don't want to read off some stupid diagnostic chart that says "OK, this didn't work, try this" type set-up. Would this field be good for me in these respects?
Just cause they say that doesn't mean it is going to happen for another 100 years, if EMT was enjoyable for you and you feel this is what you want go for it. you can always transfer to nursing.

5) Could some of you give me a day-in-the-life description of a paramedic? What do you do in the downtime? Do you guys just chill and play game-boys or something or what? I really don't know so I'm just taking shots in the dark?
Wake up at 6 a.m. get coffee/monster. go in nad sign in, check the AMBO for stock, re-stock ambo, go to ER and fill tech position until call comes in...after 6 p.m. sleep, eat, shop,surf the net, watch t.v.;)

6) What additional advice or suggestions might you give someone like me who is completely new and ignorant to the field?
By the time that you have taken your A&P classes you will know if you're capable of preforming this position. take your time and read your books, expect 80-120 hours a week and $16.oo an hour to start.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Its all good your uncle has his own opinion, however, Paramedic implies the medical person standing next to the Dr. We often have the scenario wheryby Drs try and run our profession. That should not be the case. Anyway, to answer your questions...

1. Not where i am. We don't have the luxury of visual telecoms with the hospital. As the EMS is a young profession, i can only say that it is exatcly the opposite.

2. Once again, no, there is constintly situations, and would say on every call you would have to intstitute some form of problem solving, and funny enough, we always make it work somehow...

3. Yes and no, there is a only a few emergency care workers who get it right to balance the beam 100% between applying the theory in order to implement the practical.

4. ...& master of none. If you are good with technology, yet battle to do with out it, then you may have a problem on hand. But as you mentioned.. you are a hands on guy, then this should not be a setback for you.

5. Typically, get to work, with a smile on your face, neatly dressed and groomed, check equipment and vehicle, wash the vehicle, and do calls, any calls. Your down time is what you make of it...

6. Stick to engineering!! (Just kidding) Should you wish to persue a fulltime career in the ems, i wish you the best of luck!

Ops...