EMT Named one of the 10 Most Stressful, but Rewarding, Professions

Increased educational requirements cause a scarcity in medics, leading to a shortage of supply. As supply is constricted, demand will exceed supply and price will rise.

Hows that working out for teachers and social workers..... just off the top of my head

Where i work they start basics off at 10.12, and medics 10.37 (what a difference that 4,000$ of schooling makes) Since they cut hours, you're lucky to get 20 hours a week. The joy of private EMS.
:unsure: Oh wow, that makes me really happy I'm going to school. Also, holy crap at the 4k schooling. That's a bargain!

Hows that working out for teachers and social workers..... just off the top of my head

I don't think you can make those sort of broad brush statements about other career fields. There are plenty of teachers making good money in this area - more than I do as a lawyer. And, of course, for teachers, higher education means higher pay, whether it's Bachelors + 30 credits, Master's degree, or doctorate.

Similarly, social workers who have a masters degree and their clinical license don't do badly either. Less education means less money.

Well I make $22/hr. at my normal cell site tech job. I think working as a medic over here I could make the same amount of money or more really, since pay is around $16/hr.

Not sure what to do, I can work it part-time and keep this job. But I really need a career change. <_<

I do get some overtime at my cell site tech job, but its rarely about 10-15hrs a pay period.

Starting pay in central Florida is $8-10 an hour for EMT and $12-16 for paramedic, non-fire based.

Fire based is even higher. Some start as high as $50K a year for medics. I know medics making 6 figures.

Our EMTs start out at $32K/year and our medics start out at $37.5K/year. We get a 2% increase in pay each year per our current contract. We also get longevity pay, specialty pays, and education pay.

Between all the "extras" we can get paid for, and being at the top end of our pay scale, I earn a livable wage without having to work a lot of OT or a second job.

Back