EMT in Canada Vs United States

Hilly51

Forum Ride Along
Greetings

I am a certified EMT through the Province of Alberta in Canada. My husband and I are getting some serious cabin fever and are possibly discussing moving to Scottsdale Arizona (he has a brother that lives there).
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of what form of recertification/ schooling I would need in order to use my Canadian EMT status in the State of Arizona. And or any websites that would be helpful as such.
Thank you to all in advance.
Greatly appreciated.:)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not sure if he ever gets on here anymore, so you might try sending a PM to @Medic Tim. That should at least send him an alert.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Moved to the EMS Employment section.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
New York and Ontario actually had/have a reciprocity agreement of sorts in place. Particularly with the new national standards here, the education lines up much more closely. I would check with your provincial EMS authority and see if they have an agreement in place with Montana or Washington; they're not Arizona, but they could help you get your foot in the door.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Im not really familiar with going from Canada to the US as I went from the US to Canada.

Inspir

Forum Crew Member
Get ready for a big drop in pay if you do. For some reason EMS in the US gets paid peanuts compared to Canada. Oddly enough the police as well.