EMT-I or EMT-P

cakilcrease

Forum Probie
my question is simple...

how much experience is "required" in order to become a great paramedic?

i have been a basic now for about 8 months. i think i am pretty good at my job, but i am ready to move on to the next level. but here is the question. do i stop at intermediate or go on to paramedic?

hmmmmmmmmm

firecoins

IFT Puppet
my question is simple...

i have been a basic now for about 8 months. i think i am pretty good at my job, but i am ready to move on to the next level. but here is the question. do i stop at intermediate or go on to paramedic?

hmmmmmmmmm

8 months is enough. Go on and get the medic. Why stop at intermediate? I don't understand what you would gain out of being an Intermediate. If you want to be a medic after having tested out at EMT-I, your going to repeat your EMT I training. Do it all at once. Get it done with. I know Intermediate is bigger in other parts of the country other than NY but I don't see why one would stop at I within the context of a full blown medic course available to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Want to be a Paramedic then be one. Many states are now abolishing the Intermediate levels. I know in my state, there is only one school that is now teaching it (so happens it is in my home town). Most have went to Basic to Paramedic. As well, many are not adjusting pay rates etc. to meet the responsibility.

Why stop short of your real goal?

R/r 911

MayEMT

Forum Crew Member
i agree...

i went through my intermediate only to find i am just a few steps away from being at the paramedic level....if ems is your passion go for it! otherwise youll end up like me having to take the intermediate portion over again. although its been a good refresher, it was a waste of money to stop at that level only to do it over again.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think its a timing thing at all. There are some that just won't get it at 8 months or even years and others who will turn every call into an expansion of their skill set and knowledge base. Take the right attitude going in and you will be a good medic regardless of how long you worked in the field before beginning the training process to become a medic.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Do it. Don't bother becoming and I if this is what you want to do. Go on and become a medic. Far as experience goes, as long as you are comfortable talking with your patients, comfortable asking them questions (especially in adverse situations), don't have a problem putting your hands on them, feel confident in performing at the Basic level and have started to acquire good situational awareness, then your experience level is ok. If you can do all that it'll make your internship a much better experience, and you'll be able to learn a whole lot more.

And kudos to any state that is abolishing the EMT-I level. Here it's the opposite; I's are getting a much more expanded scope of practise, with very, very few hours of training added. Absolutely pathetic, especially when you consider that the test that'll be given to existing I's can't (literally can't) be failed, the so-called bridge course is a joke and most I's statewide have not even bothered to take it, and years ago much of there scope was removed because they admitted that they lacked the training and knowledge for what they were doing. Apparently some people never learn, and a bad idea 10 years ago is a great idea today. :angry: Long live professional EMS.

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant
my question is simple...

hmmmmmmmmm

Answer is null answer. There is never enough experience. Great paramedics are always seeking more experience to improve their skills.

Philosophy aside. I recommend to our basics that are considering moving on to paramedic level to get at least a year in the back of a truck. It is an arbitrary figure about where I notice a separation of those with the drive and potential from those that are just there for a paycheck or those that are content at being 'just a basic' without the added responsibility.

No insult intended to the basics. Due to a shortage of medics, I work a EMT-B/EMT-P truck 2 out of 3 shifts. A good basic can make a tough call work - a bad one can break it.

Good BLS skills are vital to becoming a good ALS provider. Whenever you feel your skills have become smooth, complete, and up to profesional standards, sign up for class. Around here, medic programs are 2 years. That's two more years of experience before grabbing the mantle of being a medic.

musashi

Forum Probie
What about those to sit for their NREMT-I along the way of an EMT-P course? I'm starting a 9 month program in spring 08 that is a paramedic program. The school gives you the option about 3 months into the program to sit for NREMT-I. I could thern start working for $$ as an intermediate while I'm continuing my training. In San Antonio there are a couple of places I know of that pay around $14 p/h on a part-time basis. Of course in the end, the goal is EMT-P, but at least I can start working for $$. I've been an EMT-B for about 6 months now, and the market flat out SUCKS! Anyways, just curious if anyone else has done this before?

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
What about those to sit for their NREMT-I along the way of an EMT-P course? I'm starting a 9 month program in spring 08 that is a paramedic program. The school gives you the option about 3 months into the program to sit for NREMT-I. I could thern start working for $$ as an intermediate while I'm continuing my training. In San Antonio there are a couple of places I know of that pay around $14 p/h on a part-time basis. Of course in the end, the goal is EMT-P, but at least I can start working for $$. I've been an EMT-B for about 6 months now, and the market flat out SUCKS! Anyways, just curious if anyone else has done this before?

If you can do it, do it. More money is always good. Furhtermore you can get IVs out in the field. Thats awesome. I am stuck only being able to get sticks on rotations.