EMT Experiences at a Summer Camp

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Any Entry Level EMT-Bs Ever worked at a Summer Camp Accredited by the American Camp Association? I just got hired about a week ago for three months of living on camp. And assisting campers between ages of 5-18. I assist in medication administration:rofl: I think that should be LPN or RN only; but based on the ACA protocols they allow EMTs to dispense meds. at the camp. I would also put on a career exploration session by having a local EMS agency give a tour of their quarters and rigs. to show what EMS is about and if they are interested in becoming a EMT or Paramedic. It may be boring but I allows me to communicate with kids when they are scared or afraid of becoming ill or needed to be transported to local hospitals. :)

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
I worked at a camp last summer. It was a day camp, so no meds. Some kids had inhalers / eli-pens, but that's it.

I would be careful to make sure you know what you are allowed to do with your medical direction (or lack thereof) and scope of practice.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, we have standing orders that I must follow, I cannot do gluc checks if a camper has diabetes, they have to do it themselves; unless they bottom out if they need glucagon if their AMS is not WNL. I am just a bug bite and tick and cuts and scrapes patrol. And of course on standby if a CA or Choking happens on scene. But otherwise yes, We have to follow protocols from the scout council as well as from the Accredited Camp Assoc. Thanks for the advice.:cool:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Is this the sane gig you posted about a few months ago or another?

I have done some camp work. I enjoyed it. It will really teach you how to talk and interact with kids.....something ems education really lacks.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Yes sir, and I like it much:rolleyes: I am going to offer a session of having a rig from a local agency to give a tour of their prehospital ambulance and teach basic first aid and learning how and when 911 is called. Kind ofl a career exploration session. :c

Last edited by a moderator: