EMT-D/ETAD

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Yay!!! I have made my first advancement in EMS. I am an EMT-D/ETAD, which means I can combitube and defibrillate. I think specifically in SD county we are called EMT-C's (combitube) but I will know when I get my actual cert from the county. It wasnt a lot more to learn, just a 2 day 16 hour course with refreshers every month for the first 6 and then once every 6 months after that.

So after all the talk in the class.... I'm just curious:

Has anyone ever gotten it into the trachea? It's supposed to happen 15% of the time, but I havent heard of it.

Summit

Critical Crazy
EMT-ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY&Z Now I know we are all guilty, next time won't you sing with me!

Congratulations!

And the question, I've only CT'd a mannequin and I've gotten the trachea a few times.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
only in training, but yes i have hit the trach with a CT

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Congrats!! :D

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Thanks everyone :D

Summit: I was wondering how many letters they could fit behind EMT before it started looking ridiculous :p

Another question...

Would it be horrible to have some cric pressure while inserting it in hopes of getting the trach? I meant to ask my teacher.... maybe you guys can help.

The only reason I would want to get it in the trachea is if I knew ALS was on the way and would be able to give more drugs through it if I got it right.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Given the size of the combitube, I'm not sure that getting it in the trach is such a good idea. Also, almost any paramedic is going to pull a combitube in favor of an ET tube. If you're in the trach, they have to remove it to intubate the patient.

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Apr 27 2005, 05:22 AM
Given the size of the combitube, I'm not sure that getting it in the trach is such a good idea. Also, almost any paramedic is going to pull a combitube in favor of an ET tube. If you're in the trach, they have to remove it to intubate the patient.
I am pretty sure that if you want to pull an airway it has to be BHPO or a bad airway (at least in san diego). One of the proctors in our combitube lab said that as a medic he always wants to pull it for the ET which he is more familiar with... He said he is getting used to the fact that it actually is a good airway when inserted properly.