EMT course for highschooler

jlee5559

Forum Probie
I'm going to be a high school senior in a month, since it is summer break, and I was wondering if there are any EMT basic course that do not require a high school diploma or is it possible for them to make exceptions. I always thought it was cool to be an EMT so I wanted to become an EMT and volunteer for college EMT(if there is one) or hospital my freshmen year. In order to do that I have to take the nremt and finish a emt course before next september but it seems like every emt course requires a high school diploma. Is a high school diploma really required? I live in illinois by the way.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to be a high school senior in a month, since it is summer break, and I was wondering if there are any EMT basic course that do not require a high school diploma or is it possible for them to make exceptions. I always thought it was cool to be an EMT so I wanted to become an EMT and volunteer for college EMT(if there is one) or hospital my freshmen year. In order to do that I have to take the nremt and finish a emt course before next september but it seems like every emt course requires a high school diploma. Is a high school diploma really required? I live in illinois by the way.
If you have an ROP program thats where to look. Usually you just have to be 18 and can get high school credits even. Thats what I did.

OP
OP
J

jlee5559

Forum Probie
If you have an ROP program thats where to look. Usually you just have to be 18 and can get high school credits even. Thats what I did.

Thanks I just looked one up. It says it takes up 2 class periods and it seems like it is a little more expensive compared to that of a community college. Or is 900$ ususally the going price for an EMT class? For some reason I thought it was 700

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks I just looked one up. It says it takes up 2 class periods and it seems like it is a little more expensive compared to that of a community college. Or is 900$ ususally the going price for an EMT class? For some reason I thought it was 700
Im surprised that its not free for high schoolers? It was when I went through and I guess because only 2 students per high school for every district were allowed for a class of 30. $900 is a decent rate. Congratulations on knowing what you wanna do with your life so early. I don't have any regrets personally.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I'm not familiar with IL, but I got my basic while I was in high school. Mind you I was about a year older than everyone in my grade, so I was 18 when I got it. I would strongly encourage you to try to get your EMT, especially if you want to apply for nursing school or do something health sciences related in college.

BUT I have a few caveats. 1) EMS is demanding, and it might be hard for you to find a place that will hire an 18 yo EMT because of insurance issues. This goes without even mentioning the maturity you would need to demonstrate. 2) If you cannot find work, you might not be able to re-certify without experience, so you'd loose your cert. 3) Don't get all high strung if/when you get your cert.

Now, to answer your question: Many EMT programs will overlook their GED/Diploma requirement if you ask for permission and demonstrate maturity and good grades. If you are not 18, you will probably not be able to take the national registry exam to certify - so you'd probably want to think twice before you take the course. There are some fast track EMT programs, but you will have to find them. Use google for that. Just a warning, they are usually not cheap ($750-$1,300).

Most community/city colleges offer EMT courses if you really need a place to start looking. It is almost August, and most EMT classes (even the fast track ones) are around a month long. So, you are probably out of luck finding something that will end before September, let alone finding something that still has openings. If this is something you really want to pursue, you could see if there are evening EMT courses offered at your local community college you could do after school.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jlee5559

Forum Probie
Im surprised that its not free for high schoolers? It was when I went through and I guess because only 2 students per high school for every district were allowed for a class of 30. $900 is a decent rate. Congratulations on knowing what you wanna do with your life so early. I don't have any regrets personally.

Actually there aren't any ROP programs for emt in illinois or maybe I just can't find one. Turns out I was looking at the california one :(. And actually what I want to do has nothing to do with emt but I just really admired what they do because my uncle was a paramedic and now a firefighter and I would sometimes get to see his work. I just want to work as an emt because I think it is good experience and seems like an exciting job as long as I don't have to transfer old people from one nursing home to another.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I just want to work as an emt because I think it is good experience and seems like an exciting job as long as I don't have to transfer old people from one nursing home to another.

That is the majority of the job. If you don't like holding a little old lady's hands and talking to her about JFK, you might want to look for something else.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
That is the majority of the job. If you don't like holding a little old lady's hands and talking to her about JFK, you might want to look for something else.

This is not to discourage you either. I love the experience EMS has given me, and it has set me worlds above the other people I am in college with. While they talk about theoretical patients they have never treated, I think of real patients I have made a difference in the lives of. Yes, there is some excitement, but it gets old quickly. To do EMS you have to like helping people, even when no one thanks you.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
This is not to discourage you either. I love the experience EMS has given me, and it has set me worlds above the other people I am in college with. While they talk about theoretical patients they have never treated, I think of real patients I have made a difference in the lives of. Yes, there is some excitement, but it gets old quickly. To do EMS you have to like helping people, even when no one thanks you.
Yep. I've been an emt for 12 years. Lol

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I feel like I need to say this. I am not writing these things to be hard on you. You are young, and it's great to see that you are thinking about your future, and about college. I'm excited for you. If you feel like it would be easier, you can PM me and I'll do whatever I can to help - I was in your shoes not too long ago.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you thinking of going for college, and do you have a major in mind?

OP
OP
J

jlee5559

Forum Probie
I did hear that 90% of it actually is transfering but I would like to
get a chance to work with the other 10% if possible. h
Hopefully I'll get to work at the emt in the college I will be going to. Also I was held back a grade too because my dad didn't want me to be the youngest in my class, my birthday is august 7th. I have good grades and already asked community colleges, no reply... I don't dislike talking to an old lady if that was any offense, but I would expect maybe a little more action or excitement? ;P. Either way I made up my mind I'm going to do it so I'm going to do it haha.

OP
OP
J

jlee5559

Forum Probie
I feel like I need to say this. I am not writing these things to be hard on you. You are young, and it's great to see that you are thinking about your future, and about college. I'm excited for you. If you feel like it would be easier, you can PM me and I'll do whatever I can to help - I was in your shoes not too long ago.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you thinking of going for college, and do you have a major in mind?
Yea I'm applying to 4 colleges. MIT lol just for the .0001% chance and then michigan ann arbor, northwestern and university of illinois urbana champaign as my safety. My major is aeronautical engineering(told you it has nothing to do with emt). But only because I've always wanted to build this product I had mind ever since I was young. I can't trust others to build it for me but honestly I would like to work as some kind of doctor if I didn't have the dream to build this certain product. My grandmother was the head nurse at the swedish covenant hospital in chicago for over 30 years so I think that's where I might get my interest for the medical field. If I ever do succeed in building what I wanted then I wanted to work in the medical field.

And thank you for your replies. I appreciate it.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Cool beans. I am a student at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor :) and I also work PT as a medic. There are definitely opportunities here for EMTs, both volunteer and paid. Have you been able to find an EMT program? Would you consider doing an evening EMT program concurrently with your High School coursework?

I wish I could direct you to a specific program, but I'm just totally unfamiliar with IL.

OP
OP
J

jlee5559

Forum Probie
Cool beans. I am a student at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor :) and I also work PT as a medic. There are definitely opportunities here for EMTs, both volunteer and paid. Have you been able to find an EMT program? Would you consider doing an evening EMT program concurrently with your High School coursework?
Yea I can make time for emt classes. I finished all my classes my junior year I really don't have anything to do my senior year. Universiity of michigan ann arbor is my first choice because it is ranked 2nd in aeronautical engineering(MIT is first). I asked some community colleges before through email and got no reply -_-. I asked a community college that I took classes over the summer and left an email which they should answer anytime soon. I am going to call them before it gets too late.

Edit: just curious if you don't mind, what was your gpa, act score, and sat scores when you applied? Haha this is kind of personal do if you don't want to answer that's fine :D

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I am going to call them before it gets too late.

Edit: just curious if you don't mind, what was your gpa, act score, and sat scores when you applied? Haha this is kind of personal do if you don't want to answer that's fine :D

Never email people in EMS lol. Phone calls and in person has always gotten me better results.

I can PM you that stuff if you like - just don't want it all out here for all the world to see haha. Send me a PM and I'll reply.

If you come to UM, apply for the living learning community HSSP (Health Sciences Scholars Program). It will be well worth it.