EMT class scenario ideas!

I saw a interesting case of botulism.... lots of posturing and weird nuero like symptoms.... canned fruit

By "blanket roll" do u mean folding up a long piece of cloth and winding it around the patient's neck?

Negative. No collar, put him on the board, roll a blanket up and go from the shoulder up and over the head and back to the other shoulder like a 'U'.

Depending on the pt though a blanket roll around the neck might be a option :P

Negative. No collar, put him on the board, roll a blanket up and go from the shoulder up and over the head and back to the other shoulder like a 'U'.

Depending on the pt though a blanket roll around the neck might be a option :P

lol.. I was talking abt an improvised cervical collar. like the one made by folding a towel or jacket. Isnt that a suitable way to immobilise the neck in such a situation?

Also, could you please elaborate on the blanket roll method..what I understood was that we wrap one end of the blanket around the patient's upper arm, take the blanket over the patient's head and then wrap the other end around the other arm??

My favorite: dispatched to a nursing home on seizures. On arrival you find an elderly male patient on the floor next to his bed laying in his own urine. He is no longer seizing but is slow to respond and is not well oriented. Spinal precautions are initiated and a head to toe exam reveals no injuries. He has a pulse of 106 and regular but weak, a blood pressure of 108/66 with respirations at 12 a minute.

????????

My favorite: dispatched to a nursing home on seizures. On arrival you find an elderly male patient on the floor next to his bed laying in his own urine. He is no longer seizing but is slow to respond and is not well oriented. Spinal precautions are initiated and a head to toe exam reveals no injuries. He has a pulse of 106 and regular but weak, a blood pressure of 108/66 with respirations at 12 a minute.

????????

That sounds like most nursing home patients.

Somebody please tell me how to immobilise a bent neck. I didnt get the technique described by NVRob.

Somebody please tell me how to immobilise a bent neck. I didnt get the technique described by NVRob.

use something to pad it just as it is and tape it together.

ok. "Pad" as in place appropriately-sized pads (pillows etc.) around the neck and tape them?

The following were good when I was at uni and I use some of these same ideas with my first aiders.

-Scenarios targeted at common conflicts are good. Eg in my first aid classes, people often get a patient who is unconscious with a high likelihood of a spinal injury, the conflict being that spinal pts are managed on their back, while an unconscious person must be managed on their side..get people thinking and not just following the cook book.

-Scenarios that shock people in unexpected ways or force people to ask difficult questions. Attempted suicide, vaginal bleeding, pregnancy issues, intoxicated & lecherous male patients.

-Scenarios where the student has no idea whats going on, but they have to manage anyway. I've used the MELAS pt before, not expecting people to know what it is, in fact hoping that they wouldn't, but just forcing people to deal with the complex symptoms, hx and getting people to communicate with carers.

-Scenarios with dispatch information that leads them down the wrong path unless they specifically clarify it once they're with the pt, to remind people that dispatch information is wrong 117% of the time.

-Scenarios where a bit of information/tool that you are used to relying on is no longer available. This can force the student to return to their pathophys or problem solving. Eg The BSL meter is broken, based on hx and physical, is your pt having a hypo or a hyper; communication with and assessment of deaf/blind/locked-in syndrome/intellectually disabled/mentally ill pts; your walk lift belt is soiled, what other lifting aid is appropriate for situation X.

lol.. I was talking abt an improvised cervical collar. like the one made by folding a towel or jacket. Isnt that a suitable way to immobilise the neck in such a situation?

Also, could you please elaborate on the blanket roll method..what I understood was that we wrap one end of the blanket around the patient's upper arm, take the blanket over the patient's head and then wrap the other end around the other arm??

What you just described is a snake. Usually used in conjunction with a collar.

Manual c-spine to get him on the board, then once he is all strapped up the rolled up blanket goes over the top of the head from shoulder to shoulder, then is securely taped. Used it the other day when someone didnt put headblocks back in the equipment bag :rolleyes:

The towel/blanket roll replaces the blocks.

Well, I did the gunshot wound to the right chest and tried to fake it as a heart attack but I was a nerd and put the GSW entry on the anterior instead of the posterior so the scenario got solved pretty quickly. Teacher loved the scenario idea though so that's cool. :)

Thanks guys!

Teacher loved the scenario idea though so that's cool. :)

Thanks guys!

Your welcome.

Ps you were supposed to put the GSW sticker right up under the armpit to make it really tricky ;)

Back