EMT Boots

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Worst choice to make!

Redwings are crappy boots. They are not the redwing of old. They are cheap made and their EMS boots fall apart fast.

I used to work in the port, my redwings lasted about 6 years and 4 soles. they where the redwings of old though, 100% leather upper, single layer 8". but for being sooo simple they where hands down the most comfortable boots I have owned to date. I am currently in haix X1.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, and I thought the HAIX boots were pricey. Those look like they're almost tough enough to wear into a working fire, but I'm dubious about them being worth more than twice as much as my beloved 5.11s.

They actually are, if you can keep a reasonable distance from the fire. They are virtually identical to another Globe model that is rated for structural firefighting; I believe the only differences are that these are 2" shorter and lack the thermal insulation layer. But the exterior is virtually the same on both models, including the same flame-resistant leather and other features.

http://www.globefiresuits.com/footgear/products-and-solutions/structural-12in-zipper-speed-lace.aspx

Personally, I'm not too keen on the idea of a lace-up structural firefighting boot. Even with the zipper laced in I think it'd take longer to get them on. On the other hand, I guess having laces means the boot can be tighter than a slip-on boot, and I do like my boots tight...

Any of you guys in Howard County, if you want to see the boot I mentioned earlier in person, let me know and I'll come by your station. They really are pretty comfortable. They used to claim that they're just as comfortable as athletic sneakers. Other than the fact that they weigh a lot more, I think the claim was fairly accurate.

I do have two complaints about this boot, though. First, I wish it had a built-in side zipper instead of a lace-in zipper. Second, the tongue is very wide and has to be either folded over on itself, or tucked halfway around my calf on both sides to get the boot zipped up tight.

AustinNative

Forum Crew Member
I got a pair of Haix X-1s for X-mas, and they were extremely comfortable the very first day.