EMT basic scope of practice

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I knew there was a reason I didn't like you.:glare:
Ouch.

Born in Memphis, Tenn, spent half my life in Lake Orion Michigan, and past 3 years in Texas (minus 3 months at Marine boot camp).

South by birth, North by choice. B)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
There are some that do know.

Why do YOU believe Xopenex should be used instead of Albuterol?

Well, from what I've been told, Xopenex is not as fast acting as Albuterol, but at the same time has less side effects, such as tachycardia. I hear a DuoNeb is best,Xopenex/ Albuterol mix.

But granted, this is what I was taught, and I never really looked in to it anyhow.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Well, from what I've been told, Xopenex is not as fast acting as Albuterol, but at the same time has less side effects, such as tachycardia. I hear a DuoNeb is best,Xopenex/ Albuterol mix.

But granted, this is what I was taught, and I never really looked in to it anyhow.

Those that also told you this information may not have looked into it either but are just gong by what they have been told.

Don't go just by what you have been told unless it is a highly qualified instructor of pharmacology. Research the meds yourself. That is a huge part of studying medications and pharmacology. Memorization of pieces of information or relying on heresay is not a good way to show knowledge about a medication. Thus, I stress the importance of COLLEGE level A&P, Pathophysiology and Microbiology classes to understand even what some perceive to be a "basic" medication.

DuoNeb is a trade name for Albuterol/Atrovent mix. It is effective only if the patient needs the anticholinergic properties of Atrovent (ipratropium bromide).

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Those that also told you this information may not have looked into it either but are just gong by what they have been told.

Don't go just by what you have been told unless it is a highly qualified instructor of pharmacology. Research the meds yourself. That is a huge part of studying medications and pharmacology. Memorization of pieces of information or relying on heresay is not a good way to show knowledge about a medication. Thus, I stress the importance of COLLEGE level A&P, Pathophysiology and Microbiology classes to understand even what some perceive to be a "basic" medication.

DuoNeb is a trade name for Albuterol/Atrovent mix. It is effective only if the patient needs the anticholinergic properties of Atrovent (ipratropium bromide).

I never once purported to know anything about Xopenex, as it's not a drug I was taught about and never studied. Would it be good to know about all drugs, whether or not I am allowed to use them? Sure, but I didn't.

The ones who told me that were paramedic instructors, in the field for atleast a decade, if not longer. But also keep in mind, this was 2 months ago, and some things undoubtedly have been lost.

But please, tell me, why Albuterol > Xopenex, other then the cost aspect?

(That last sentence comes off rather confrotational, but I don't know how better to phrase it, sorry)

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've come to the conclusion that EMT-Bs should be able to do advanced procedures, but the first advanced procedure that has to be done on every patient is a guaiac test with the sample obtained digitally.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase each other
doesn't make any sense."

Jelaluddin Rumi, the 13th century sufi poet

VentMedic

Forum Chief
But please, tell me, why Albuterol > Xopenex, other then the cost aspect?

(That last sentence comes off rather confrotational, but I don't know how better to phrase it, sorry)

That's okay. I just wanted to get you started down a decent path to look at pharmacology as a science.

It doesn't matter how long a Paramedic instructor has been in the field. It is how well they understand what they teach and can present it effectively. Tales from the street may provide good examples for use but doesn't always give the student the necessary reasoning behind why that use is appropriate.

Here's some info.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I've come to the conclusion that EMT-Bs should be able to do advanced procedures, but the first advanced procedure that has to be done on every patient is a guaiac test with the sample obtained digitally.

That would probably require more A&P then is included in class. ;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Actually a guaiac test is fairly easy. I'm just going to run on the assumption that if it came down to doing a procedure because a provider can vs not sticking a finger up the patient's butt that the latter would win.