EMT-Basic Houston Pearland

nguyenKLT

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I am a new EMT-basic and I just got my Texas Cert in the mail!

I've interviewed with two ambulance companies and I got offered the job. However, I didn't like that they had no benefits and no protocol for if an employee gets hurt (needlestick, back problems) and no workman's compensation. It seemed also that there had been problems in the past with employees getting hurt and the companies decide whether or not to pay on a case by case basis. I don't feel comfortable with the lack of protocol.

Are there any ambulance/911 companies in Houston or Pearland (I live south Houston) area that are more structured? I want a position with responsibility and patient care, preferably not just as a driver. I don't mind less pay, as long as I feel comfortable I'm not going to get in trouble down the line if I ever contract something.

dewey

Forum Probie
Put your time in, watch out for your safety (if you don't feel comfortable doing something - don't do it), watch out for fraud (if the patient didn't have it, don't put it in your report), CYA, and continue to apply to other places. As far as decent companies hiring, I would check out wit.twc.state.tx.us, monster.com has some every once in a while, and google is also your friend. Just keep an eye out for openings.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Indeed.com seemed like it worked well when i was looking for work in texas