EMT-Basic-hirable from the get-go or need more schooling...???

Chall09

Forum Probie
I'm curious as to how many EMT's can hired when they are only at the basic level.

Do fire departments/Private EMS operators/Etc. look for basics?

I start my schoolin in 2 days and I just want some reassurance that a job won't be impossible to find. Obviously EMS services would want someone with the most experience...this worries me a little. What about the newbies who lack the experience?

I'm sure my ignorance of the profession rings true in this thread. You must understand that I'm just barely getting my feet wet. I'm only concerned because I'm paying 800+ for these classes. In a time of economic uncertainty, money is an asset doing my best to preserve. Investing in my education is a decision I feel I can't go wrong with. However, this doesn't take away the fact that my nerves are racking with uncertainty on what the job outlook will be when I finally get my EMT-Basic certification.

Also, I'm curious about another question. Where should I be sending my resume when I get certified?

Thoughts....???

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on your area. Here we are saturated with Basics and you have to compete with quite a few EMT's for jobs on 911 services. You should be able to get a job at an transport service easily enough if there is one in your area. There are no promises for a job after school in ANY field right now.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Here in NM, jobs for basics are scarce. There are too many of them in the job market. Medics are even havin trouble finding jobs for the same reason.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
the best way to find out would be to pass emt school and get out there and try. granted jobs are scarce right now, but alot of people who claim they cant get an emt job, actually just can get the job they want. If you only apply to one agency, it will be hard for you to get a job. if you apply everywhere within you're driving distance to work, you will have a much greater chance to get hired. once hired and you get some experience under you're belt, get a good reputation, then you can be a little more picky about where you work. good luck

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just call the local EMS around your area and ask if they are hiring and if so, what level?.

We hire basics but usually they are in medic school or will be a Paramedic within a year. I receive about 10 basic applications a day wishing for an application and spot on the next testing. There dime a dozen for most places.

R/r 911

audreyj

Forum Probie
I'm in the Chicago area and our municipalities hire you either as a FF/EMT-B with a promise to become a paramedic in X amt of time, typically a year. The same is true for the reverse in my experience. Best bets are to find a volunteer dept. and finish your schooling then test into a paid position at a different dept. We also have paid on call depts that hire basics as well.

We also have a lot of private services in the area which run transports, dialysis pts, standby at HS athletic events, standby at a local concert center, and some even run 911 calls in a limited area. Basics are LOVED by these companies, most are always hiring.

You will learn a lot about how EMS works in your area just in talking with your classmates. There will probably be a 2nd or 3rd generation firefighter/paramedic hopeful in your class that might be able to shed some light on the situation in your area. Also your instructors should be able to answer your questions.