Emt b

combiguy

Forum Probie
Reaction score
I start my basic class in about two months. I understand the differences between bls and als except for one thing... once I get my emt b I want to get on a BLS ambulance asap that being said are bls rigs only going to do inter facility transfers? Is there any emergency calls? I'm pretty new to all this.

Many companies opt to specialize in interfacility transfer (IFT), which may include hoime-to-appointment runs or even medivaqns (wheelchair vans).

There's something to be said for starting with that as long as you keep studying and get good orientation.

What's the hurry?

Plain ol' curiosity.

Shoot I also meant to post this in EMS talk... using my phone to do this isn't working out to hot.

BLS is not strictly the private, IFT business. There are many 911 systems where the ambulances are only BLS, and private contractors are brough in for ALS. For example, a fire dept may run only BLS, but call a private like AMR for anything beyond that.

Looking at your location of the detroit metropolitan area, most likely, the only BLS gigs will be the IFT, as BLS 911 is usually only found in rural areas.

I work part time for a private ambulance as a BLS provider. we do IFT and emergency calls. Those emergency calls are all from nursing and rehab facilities . Depending on days of the week it can vary. Sometimes ill do dialysis jobs all day or discharges from hospitals and other days ill get a million "injuries from a fall."

HELLO how is everybody. I have a ?. I see ppl post the something am about to say. Am a full time FF and I love what I do. I just finish EMT school about a few months ago. I took the Basic 3x already am taking it again this saturday. I been useing the JBLEARNIG web site. I been taking at least 9-10 tests a day. And I relax for a second and get back to it. But is it about this test that make it so hard. Can someone give me some encourage words pls. BE SAFE OUT THERE.

Just keep up the hard work, don't "over do it". Know your limits!

BLS is not strictly the private, IFT business. There are many 911 systems where the ambulances are only BLS, and private contractors are brough in for ALS. For example, a fire dept may run only BLS, but call a private like AMR for anything beyond that.

Looking at your location of the detroit metropolitan area, most likely, the only BLS gigs will be the IFT, as BLS 911 is usually only found in rural areas.

Detroit has private companies running BLS trucks on 911 calls. The pay and conditions suck, but they do it.

Pontiac has BLS trucks going on ALS calls all the time. I go on 5-6 per shift.

Superior
Beaumont(very rarely)
Star
Community
Universal

All have BLS 911

And almost every company in Genesee County

I worked as an EMT-B in Oakland County responding to IFT and 911 calls. My top choices:

Star EMS - Pontiac. I had an awesome time responding on a BLS unit when I did ride alongs in Pontiac with AMR. Now Star has the contract.
Community EMS - They're a big company with lots of opportunity.

Beaumont Medical Transport, Concord EMS, Alliance Mobile Health, and Superior Ambulance will have you doing almost entirely IFTs.

I saw in the news that six private ambulance services are responding to calls in Detroit. They include Universal Macomb, Hart Medical EMS, Medstar, Rapid Response EMS, and a few others.

Good luck!

Medstar is. Great company.

They are on the up and up. Tons of new opportunities with them.

I may wander over there in a few months.

Today I failed the basic test for the 4x. I dont understand this. I been using JBlearning I got from class. So that leaves me 2more times. Before I have to take the class over. I there other book I can get to help me.

Thanks guys. The info helps out for when I'm looking for the job here in a few months.

Back