EMT-B to Paramedic

PitbullEMT

Forum Ride Along
I recently got my EMT-b and i am planning on going straightfor my Paramedic starting Dec.4. I am wondering if there is any advice you guys could give me that could help me prepare for a big transition like that.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I recently got my EMT-b and i am planning on going straightfor my Paramedic starting Dec.4. I am wondering if there is any advice you guys could give me that could help me prepare for a big transition like that.

Take A&P

OP
OP
P

PitbullEMT

Forum Ride Along
M y wife is taking an A&P class right now for her RN so i may save the money and just start studying with her

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

If you are a student or working time management will be inportant. If you have an university level A&P, Chemistry, Microbiology, Pathophys, etc you will not have a hard time at all. Going from B to P is very common....some would suggest it over getting B experience.

Good luck

OP
OP
P

PitbullEMT

Forum Ride Along
If you are a student or working time management will be inportant. If you have an university level A&P, Chemistry, Microbiology, Pathophys, etc you will not have a hard time at all. Going from B to P is very common....some would suggest it over getting B experience.

Good luck

I was talking with the program director at the school i will be attending and there seems to be a lot of B's going straight to P's there. I feel it will be tough but well worth it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Most of my class was basics without much experience. Nearly all of us are currently employed as FT Medics now less than 4 months after graduation. Normal? No. Doable? Very much so.

FWIW I went B to I to P.

crazychick

Forum Probie
honestly, after attempting to do the same thing, wait. Gain some experience in the field. Its easier to tell a medic your just not as comfortable taking a call do to inexperience than to be a fresh medic with no experience and you have to take the call!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Most of my class was basics without much experience. Nearly all of us are currently employed as FT Medics now less than 4 months after graduation. Normal? No. Doable? Very much so.

FWIW I went B to I to P.

I agree with Rob, I also went from B to I to P. I spent way to many years as an Intermediate EMT before getting my Paramedic and I regret not getting it faster.

My advise would be to choose a program at a community college or university that will give you college transcripts and college credits for the program. NOT a vocational center. I would also advise you take a&p but even better, I would suggest you simply get an AAS as a Paramedic. The reason for this is you will have completed over half of one already just in Paramedic credits. If you do not like the one at your college look at others you can complete online after your medic program. Its only 2 semesters of additional college classes, English 101 ect, why not?

Thats my 2 cents.

OP
OP
P

PitbullEMT

Forum Ride Along
I agree with Rob, I also went from B to I to P. I spent way to many years as an Intermediate EMT before getting my Paramedic and I regret not getting it faster.

My advise would be to choose a program at a community college or university that will give you college transcripts and college credits for the program. NOT a vocational center. I would also advise you take a&p but even better, I would suggest you simply get an AAS as a Paramedic. The reason for this is you will have completed over half of one already just in Paramedic credits. If you do not like the one at your college look at others you can complete online after your medic program. Its only 2 semesters of additional college classes, English 101 ect, why not?

Thats my 2 cents.

I am taking my class at a training center that is just for training EMS it is very military oriented its more intense training than community colleges but there program is being accredited to colleges I like the school its where I did my EMT and they have NREMT reps come there for practicals instead of having to find a place to do them.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Just something to heavily consider. I have known some medics, who later want to complete a degree and where not awarded transfer credit from there vocational medic training. If you ever want to further your education this could be a big issue.

I would see if they have an agreement with the local community college and also MAKE SURE it has accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) as recommended by the Committee on Accreditation of EMS Education Programs (CoAEMSP)

OP
OP
P

PitbullEMT

Forum Ride Along
I will further look into that but what I have been told is that the state of Georgia where I'm at is going state wide in 2013 to the associate degree for medic and that the school I'm at will be able to transfer any program to a community college to get that starting with the class I am in so it will be the first one for my school but thanks for the advice I will check into it more though I can see where people would be disappointed with that and yes I would also so I will look further into it

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
honestly, after attempting to do the same thing, wait. Gain some experience in the field. Its easier to tell a medic your just not as comfortable taking a call do to inexperience than to be a fresh medic with no experience and you have to take the call!

I dunno, I went B->P and had no issues. Our class started 60-40 B's/I's and ended up 50/50 B's/I's (18 folks total).

A reputable program with good clinicals prepares you as best you can given the lack of depth in EMS education.

Worse, working as a B for a year or two probably just means you'll have repeated 1-2 years of bad habits prior to medic school :)

OP
OP
P

PitbullEMT

Forum Ride Along
I have not long finished my b and a lot of places around here don't want to hire just B's and it seems that I have a better shot of landing a better job as a medic that is one reason y I am going back so fast and also the pay rate in my area from what I can tell is about $9 more an hour on the high end and $6 more an hour on the low end so it makes a little difference and also with a 10 month old daughter I want to get as much schooling out of the way while she is young so I can spend more time with her as she grows up.