EMT-B Seeking Wisdom from Medics

CombatCasualtyCare21

Forum Probie
In my state a Basic is seen as little more than an advanced first aid cert. Not in high demand. Its been a struggle to even get my foot in the door. I have had plans of starting medic school in the fall, but I originally enrolled assuming I would have about a year of paid experience to build upon. Instead I have only the 36 hours of rotations from my cert. This question probably comes up a lot.

What would you all advise? volunteer while in school, postpone medic classes and keep hopelessly searching for EMT-B work, when they all only NEED medics and nurses? I guarantee I can handle the courses, I just worry that a "green" medic might possibly be looked at in a worse way than a "green" basic. What do you guys think? I know the importance of experience, but how can I gain it when it is not available to be gained as a B?

Thank you in advance for any advice, i have nothing but respect for you all.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Don't waste time remaining a basic. Get your education and you and more importantly your patients will be better for it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The reason the basic is only considered a little more than first aid is because it is just a little more than first aid. Seriously, review the curriculum of both.

Now, don't like that.. do as others describe go to college get your education and enter some medicine courses ..e.g. Paramedic, RT, RN etc....

R/r 911