EMT-B required hours of training

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
Being new here and to the EMT-B training I have read alot of threads here that talk about the required hours of training to become an EMT-B.
Please Read: I am new to this field, know really nothing about it, and I just want to make an observation, if I may. I have read here that the hours training for an EMT-B is lacking, and/or inadequate, it may very well be, I don't have enough experience to make a determination. But I would like to address a couple of things. 110 hours seems to be the standard, my course is 150 hours, but I would like to add the following, classroom and lab training may be 150 hours, but i can tell you, that I will have much more than 150 hours of study/training in by the time I am finished. I have attended two classes so far, 4 hours in length each, my study time at home has been at least 4 hours a night so far. I can say that by the time all is said and done I will have at a at least double that in classroom and home study time. So at a minimun I will have at least 300 hours devoted to this course. I also am taking a self study Medical Terminology course which will add more hours to my time devoted to my studies. I am also enrolled and will begin in June Med Terminology and Anatomy & Physiology. That is another 100 hours of class time and 50-75 home study hours. It is feasible that I will have close to 500 hours devoted to becoming an EMT-B. I am in no way trying to say I am going to be as educated as a paramedic or other provider, but I will have more than just the 110 hours that is the standard. I keep hearing just 110 hours, but in many cases it is going to be more than just that. If you think I am off base, let me know, but I do think that just because the course is 110 hours, that is all we are putting into it, some will have dedicated more time than that.

Thank You

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
We will all be judged by our lowest common denominator. There is a lot more to it than that, but it has all been hashed out here quite extensively. The truth is, even a 300 hour course is woefully inadequate.

VGFDEMT34

Forum Probie
We will all be judged by our lowest common denominator. There is a lot more to it than that, but it has all been hashed out here quite extensively. The truth is, even a 300 hour course is woefully inadequate.

As is a 1200+ hour course, when you consider some of the things in our scope of practice.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe we will have reached a milestone when we measure it in semesters and not hours.

Scout

Para-Noid
you'd think so but i know people doing semesters and semesters of work and doing 2 hours or less a week all tolled.

now a credit system that reflects hours in lecture, practicle learning and backgroud work would be better.

Finishing off my semester where is did 8-6 5 days a week for the majority and for the exam period i'm up on 10-12 6 days a week, sitting next to an arts student with 2 exams totaling 2 hours not studying. Both did a semester.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Being new here and to the EMT-B training I have read alot of threads here that talk about the required hours of training to become an EMT-B.
Please Read: I am new to this field, know really nothing about it, and I just want to make an observation, if I may. I have read here that the hours training for an EMT-B is lacking, and/or inadequate, it may very well be, I don't have enough experience to make a determination. But I would like to address a couple of things. 110 hours seems to be the standard, my course is 150 hours, but I would like to add the following, classroom and lab training may be 150 hours, but i can tell you, that I will have much more than 150 hours of study/training in by the time I am finished. I have attended two classes so far, 4 hours in length each, my study time at home has been at least 4 hours a night so far. I can say that by the time all is said and done I will have at a at least double that in classroom and home study time. So at a minimun I will have at least 300 hours devoted to this course. I also am taking a self study Medical Terminology course which will add more hours to my time devoted to my studies. I am also enrolled and will begin in June Med Terminology and Anatomy & Physiology. That is another 100 hours of class time and 50-75 home study hours. It is feasible that I will have close to 500 hours devoted to becoming an EMT-B. I am in no way trying to say I am going to be as educated as a paramedic or other provider, but I will have more than just the 110 hours that is the standard. I keep hearing just 110 hours, but in many cases it is going to be more than just that. If you think I am off base, let me know, but I do think that just because the course is 110 hours, that is all we are putting into it, some will have dedicated more time than that.

Thank You

I applaud you for going above the basic training . But truth is you will still be a basic,the only people who will know what other education you have gotten on your own. My thoughts are that if you only go to the extent that you have to to get a certification regardless of the level then that is inadequate the only way to be your best is to continue your education beyond what is required. No matter if you remain as a basic or progress up to the highest level of paramedic the base class hours are not enough to be the best care giver you can be. In order to do that you must be willing to go above and beyond the bare minimum.

OP
OP
E

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
Thank you for your responses, I can appreciate the fact that your opinions are the basic is just not enough, and I would probably agree. But the system is what it is and the only way for me to compensate for that is to become educated beyond what is the minumim. My plan is to go to paramedic school as soon as allowed, which means some practical experience as a basic, and then moving on to the next phase development. My only question is, how much experience is expected of me as a basic before moving to paramedic school? I am in California, and the parameters are not well defined, most schools I have looked at say either working as a basic, or having some experience as a basic, but a timeline is not established.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Marriage and Family therapists require 3,000 clinical hours in addition to their didactic in order to take the license exam.

That is double the class and clinical time for paramedic, just on their clinical time.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Marriage and Family therapists require 3,000 clinical hours in addition to their didactic in order to take the license exam.
So do most state cosmetology boards. Some states require more than that just to be a barber. Physical Therapists don't even perform invasive therapeutics, and they require a minimum entry level of a Master's Degree, with many entering at the Doctorate level.

Nail technicians are required to have more training than an EMT-B.

EMS education is a joke and a disgrace.

What exactly was the point of this thread? :unsure:

OP
OP
E

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
If it is such a joke why are you in it? Seriuosly, why would you get into a field that you feel is such a disgrace? The point of the thread is not hard, I was stating an observation and asking why there is so much belittling of the time requred for EMS. I don't know about you, but if was so unhappy with a system I worked or was trained in I would leave or make an improvement. Just saying on a public forum how much of a joke it is accomplishes little and makes me wonder why you would continue in the field. Perhaps you would be happier somewhere else? Just a thought. I am very happy with my life, and made a concious decision to get into this field, whether the training is a joke or not remains to be seen. If it were so bad I really don't think the majority of the country would be using the system to respond to prehospital emergencies. I have yet to travel anywhere in the country where there is not an EMS service of some sort or another, seems to be the standard of practice. Try as you may, I won't be discouraged by a few sour apples who are tired, old or burned out. It just strikes me funny that the people who are always *****ing about the system are in the system working and making a living, if you don't like it, get out it is a free country, you are not being forced to stay in a job that is a joke, you could go do something else, where you may feel little more significant, perhaps even be happy about your training. It seem hypocritical to demonize an industry, and then work in the same industry and discourage others who are new to the system. Usually ones who are more vocal from the confines and anonymity of the internet are those who can't or won't do something useful away from the keyboard.

Maybe that cleared it up for you? Get the point now? I came here to perhaps learn something, if its just going to be the system sucks, the training is a joke, EMT-B's no don't know anything, you are an advanced first-aid provider, and so on, get it out of your system now. Now provide something with some substance, that actually is going to make a difference, typing form your keyboard isn't it. Give me something substantial, tangible, USEFUL for Christ's sake, whinning about is not going to make a difference. Give me something useful, something that is going to make a difference in the training I am going through now, just saying it is a joke is retarded, it is of no benefit to anyone who is going through training now. I'll just go to my instructor on Monday and tell him AJ from EMTLIFE.COM forum says your training is a joke, maybe he'll say, WOW! you are right! We will change the curiculum right now. All this time we have been doing it wrong, but AJ says it is a joke, so it must be. Stop the presses, rewrite the book forget everything you learned so far, and we will see you Wednesday with the new improved EMS training curiculum. Aint'gonna happen, give me something USEFUL!

reaper

Working Bum
Mainly because EMT-B training is a joke and is really not needed at all. We work in these systems to try and make EMS what it should have been 20 years ago. We do have the "that's the way it's always been done" attitude.

When you get an education and experience under your belt, come back and tell us that it is not a joke and should stay the way it is. Until that happens, I would not try talking down to a man that has more experience and education then you will ever receive!

No other medical field requires you to step up in education. EMS should do away with EMT all together and just have a two year medic school. That is never going to happen, because we have little trained people that will do the job cheaper.

Sorry guys for the rant, just can't stand someone with no experience in the profession, trying to tell us all how it should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
If it is such a joke why are you in it? Seriuosly, why would you get into a field that you feel is such a disgrace? The point of the thread is not hard, I was stating an observation and asking why there is so much belittling of the time requred for EMS. I don't know about you, but if was so unhappy with a system I worked or was trained in I would leave or make an improvement. Just saying on a public forum how much of a joke it is accomplishes little and makes me wonder why you would continue in the field. Perhaps you would be happier somewhere else? Just a thought. I am very happy with my life, and made a concious decision to get into this field, whether the training is a joke or not remains to be seen. If it were so bad I really don't think the majority of the country would be using the system to respond to prehospital emergencies. I have yet to travel anywhere in the country where there is not an EMS service of some sort or another, seems to be the standard of practice. Try as you may, I won't be discouraged by a few sour apples who are tired, old or burned out. It just strikes me funny that the people who are always *****ing about the system are in the system working and making a living, if you don't like it, get out it is a free country, you are not being forced to stay in a job that is a joke, you could go do something else, where you may feel little more significant, perhaps even be happy about your training. It seem hypocritical to demonize an industry, and then work in the same industry and discourage others who are new to the system. Usually ones who are more vocal from the confines and anonymity of the internet are those who can't or won't do something useful away from the keyboard.

Maybe that cleared it up for you? Get the point now? I came here to perhaps learn something, if its just going to be the system sucks, the training is a joke, EMT-B's no don't know anything, you are an advanced first-aid provider, and so on, get it out of your system now. Now provide something with some substance, that actually is going to make a difference, typing form your keyboard isn't it. Give me something substantial, tangible, USEFUL for Christ's sake, whinning about is not going to make a difference. Give me something useful, something that is going to make a difference in the training I am going through now, just saying it is a joke is retarded, it is of no benefit to anyone who is going through training now. I'll just go to my instructor on Monday and tell him AJ from EMTLIFE.COM forum says your training is a joke, maybe he'll say, WOW! you are right! We will change the curiculum right now. All this time we have been doing it wrong, but AJ says it is a joke, so it must be. Stop the presses, rewrite the book forget everything you learned so far, and we will see you Wednesday with the new improved EMS training curiculum. Aint'gonna happen, give me something USEFUL!
First, most here that advocate for education do work VERY hard to improve EMS education. I personally have written letters to local and state politicians, and have taken careful care to pick a medic program that is accredited and offers a college degree. Second, I am in the pre req phase for medical/PA school and after obtaining advanced medical education, will be working at the policy level to obtain change for EMS. Third, if you do not like what we have to say, do not start a thread. You are here on a forum accessible to everybody, and we are all welcome to post our own opinions at will (on the discretion of the admins). What you say will be judged by your peers. Forth, you are arguing with people with vastly more education and health care experience than yourself, and you may be left with egg on your face if you continue with emotional outbursts. Fifth, I am not an old burned out sour grape, I am in my very early 20s and am very excited to start working as a paramedic, but I still think that EMT and medic education is a joke. Sixth, you want to know why EMS is the way is is? Your logic of "everybody is doing it this way so it must not be wrong" is foolish. Your going to have to open your ears (and eyes) and pock around on this forum where you will find rational, sound, and educated opinions on why EMS is where it is. You are an EMT student, no offense, but you are in no position challenge a paramedic/RN.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
Mainly because EMT-B training is a joke and is really not needed at all. We work in these systems to try and make EMS what it should have been 20 years ago. We do have the "that's the way it's always been done" attitude.

When you get an education and experience under your belt, come back and tell us that it is not a joke and should stay the way it is. Until that happens, I would not try talking down to a man that has more experience and education then you will ever receive!

No other medical field requires you to step up in education. EMS should do away with EMT all together and just have a two year medic school. That is never going to happen, because we have little trained people that will do the job cheaper.

Sorry guys for the rant, just can't stand someone with no experience in the profession, trying to tell us all how it should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I know who or what he is, just because he or you say he is, that makes it fact, for all I know he isn't, but stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. And I would also say, if you or he is knowingly working in an industry providing substandard care to victims, shame on You! It is unethical, and probably borders on criminal. The last time I checked I have the right express my opinion whether or not you or anybody else likes it. If dissenting opinions are not allowed here maybe it should be a private pay forum, not a public forum. Again you say you are willingly working in a system that is never going to get better, why? Have you no shame? Why on earth would participate in a broken system and profit from it? Perhaps you need to take a step back and rethink what you are contribiting to.

Maybe they sould do away with EMT's, I can't speculate on that right now, but they are here now and a fact of life, again if it truely goes against what you believe in, why would you actively participate and add to the problem. Walk away if it is not what you stand for.

FYI I do have experience and education under my belt, lots of it. I have led a full and satisfiying and comfortable life. All traits that come from education and experience. And saying that he has more education and experience than i will ever recieve is purely speculative and somewhat ignorant, given the fact you know nothing about me or my background. If you want to stay with facts that you have personal knowledge of, fine, otherwise arguing about it is not relevant.

"No other medical field requires you to step up in education." Not certain what that means, but does not sound right to me. Perhaps it did not come out correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireMedic65

Forum Ride Along
why does it really matter on how many hour are required? EMS Education is all about what each individual puts into their training, now how many hours they sit in lectures. Let's be honest, there isn't much to it at all in EMT-B.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I cannot even believe this. If this is what my predecessors before me have battled for so many years, well I am surprised that they are not in early graves. I do not even know how to respond.

FireMedic65

Forum Ride Along
I know EMTs who have attended "accelerated" courses that were a e weeks long. Some of them suck really bad, and some of them actually sat down and studied. Those are the ones who know their *** from a hole in the ground and went on to become good medics. Same goes with the programs that take 6months plus. It's all what you put into it!

Sasha

Forum Chief
So do most state cosmetology boards. Some states require more than that just to be a barber. Physical Therapists don't even perform invasive therapeutics, and they require a minimum entry level of a Master's Degree, with many entering at the Doctorate level.

Nail technicians are required to have more training than an EMT-B.

EMS education is a joke and a disgrace.

What exactly was the point of this thread? :unsure:

Clown College is almost double the required training hours of an EMT class!

OP
OP
E

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
First, most here that advocate for education do work VERY hard to improve EMS education. I personally have written letters to local and state politicians, and have taken careful care to pick a medic program that is accredited and offers a college degree. Second, I am in the pre req phase for medical/PA school and after obtaining advanced medical education, will be working at the policy level to obtain change for EMS. Third, if you do not like what we have to say, do not start a thread. You are here on a forum accessible to everybody, and we are all welcome to post our own opinions at will (on the discretion of the admins). What you say will be judged by your peers. Forth, you are arguing with people with vastly more education and health care experience than yourself, and you may be left with egg on your face if you continue with emotional outbursts. Fifth, I am not an old burned out sour grape, I am in my very early 20s and am very excited to start working as a paramedic, but I still think that EMT and medic education is a joke. Sixth, you want to know why EMS is the way is is? Your logic of "everybody is doing it this way so it must not be wrong" is foolish. Your going to have to open your ears (and eyes) and pock around on this forum where you will find rational, sound, and educated opinions on why EMS is where it is. You are an EMT student, no offense, but you are in no position challenge a paramedic/RN.

Look if you are going to make an arguement about my post at least read and comprehend it. I never said anywhere that you or anyone else is not welcome to post, just the opposite, I said give me something I can use. Just saying EMS is a joke is not helpful to me. It could be just the opinion of one or many, if it is then why? It was not expounded upon. Second I did not say sour grape, I said sour apple. Third, unless you are in tune with my state of mind and thoughts, don't make asinine assuptions about my emotional state, it makes you sound ridiculous. I did not say I did not like what was said I said it was not helpful to me. Really are you here to advocate EMS or just find someone to make misguided statements about their posts. If you are truely an advocate, great tell me why, what is wrong, what can be done to fix it, what i can do to better`prepare myself. Your reply did very little of that, just told me I am not educated, don't know anything, foolish. That does very little to further your cause.