EMT-B Practical Testing Centers

SafetyFirst

Forum Ride Along
Long story short, I am trying to find somewhere to take only the practical evaluation ("Verification of Skill Competence") for an EMT-B. Does anyone have any advice? I live in Denver, CO and specifics would be awesome but if not, any ideas/advice would be helpful.

To explain more, I got my NREMT in 2011 and recently took the exam to re-certify be examination (before it expires at the end of this month -3/2014). I passed the computer exam this morning. So all I need is the practical evaluation. Also, I am a firefighter for the Forest Service so not much help from my agency in keeping my EMT-B certification. Additionally, I am well aware that I should have not waited until 20 days before it expires but I was going to let it lapse until recently (my forest got a doctor to oversee medical direction, etc.)... so this is kind of a last minute attempt to keep current. I have done some research and am coming up empty so far. I will continue looking but if anyone has some useful info, it would be appreciated.

Strap

Forum Crew Member
Are you sure you need a formal practical evaluation? I don't know specifically about the recert by examination, but if the "Verification of Skill Competence" is the same as on the normal EMT-B recert form , I think all you need to do is convince your training officer or supervisor that you are competent in those skills listed, then get him/her to sign off on the form.

OP
OP
S

SafetyFirst

Forum Ride Along
OK. Thanks, that does make sense. It is the same "Verification of Skill Competence" as the regular EMT-B recert form.
As far as working for the US Forest Service and it being non-traditional EMS, would a non-EMS supervisor be able to sign off in this form?
And I am actually signed up to do a practical exam with a local agency. Will they be able to sign off on the "Verification of Skill Competence"

Strap

Forum Crew Member
I hate to suggest one way or the other to you, since I don't know the rule, or even if there is a rule. Nothing I've read says the Training Officer/Supervisor has to be EMS. I personally would be comfortable doing it either way.

I just recently had my (non-EMS) VFD Chief sign off on my skill competence. But then again, I haven't got my new certification card back from NREMT yet. :)