EMT-B License help! :|

iosapsrock

Forum Ride Along
Well, I'm a new EMT-B, and I've almost secured my first job. I'm pretty excited, but unfortunately I've run into a brick wall. I could really use some help from people who may have experienced a similar issue.

I am currently living in Tennessee (TN), but the job I'm trying for is in Texas (TX). So, I need to get my TX EMT-B License. Simple, right? No...

My first question (yea, I'm a total noob :wacko: ) - Which form do I use? Initial Licensure, or Reciprocity? I have NO state ems certification period. I have my NREMT-B. My school was actually down in TX. I am currently residing in TN though, So, do I go for Initial Licensure? Or do I go for Reciprocity?

My other issue is with the whole "Fast-Pass" FBI fingerprint thing. I simply cannot figure out how to schedule an appointment where I don't have to drive all the way down to Texas, just for a fingerprint check. I've tried using their TN scheduling website, but it will not allow me to enter the required OCA Number. This is unfortunate, as unless I can schedule an appointment locally, it becomes a multi-hundred-dollar fingerprint scan. I've called the Texas EMS office 3 times now, but no one ever answers the phone. I'm getting a little frustrated...

Any advice? Anyone? I'm new to this, and it's all very confusing right now. :sad: Thank you so much for taking the time to read.

Regards,
Tyler

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Texas doesn't have a state test. They only want proof of passing NR, and your money ($70 I think?).

My guess is that you should be able to apply for Initial licensure through Texas since your course was in Texas and you passed NR (you may need your Texas course number), but your best bet would be to call down there and talk to them.

What area in Tx are you looking at?

Mjolnir

Forum Probie
I have yet to interact with a OEMS that was even half interested in helping me...but then again, that was in NY, and they're notoriously rude. I'm an emailer...I send emails to everyone related to the office, so when the OEMS tell me my information is wrong, I can show them that their employee gave me the info. My advice is either read up on their site, or email.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I don't know how NY is, but good luck getting a response from Tx DSHS. They may have gotten better in the last couple of years, but they use to be terrible at responding to emails; they're bad enough about just answering the phones down there.

Mjolnir

Forum Probie
NY is as rude as they are on the subway, with the added bonus of not being able to get a hold of them originally. Emails, followed by phone calls, and then some more emails...I became enough of a pain, they just gave me whatever I wanted. I could've gotten the woman's car if I wanted.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had good experiences with TX DSHS in the past year when calling. I wouldn't advise emailing.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What about calling the fingerprint place locally and asking if they ever communicate with the Tx DSHS...I'd bet you're not the first person to have this issue.

If you've got your NREMT and no state license you have to do initial licensure, reciprocity is for people with a license from another state.

The NV OEMS is badass, walk in talk to someone, walk out with you went down there for.

OP
OP
iosapsrock

iosapsrock

Forum Ride Along
Thank you!

Wow guys, I'm overwhelmed with how helpful this place is. :p No seriously though, I've been metaphorically drowning for the last few days, so I cannot describe how nice it is to have a community of helpful people like this.

Per your advice I called TX DSHS. Took me over 6 phone calls, but I finally ended up with the right person on the phone. I indeed got confirmation that I can initial License in TX, and I can get my fingerprint done locally. Big relief to finally have this taken care of!

Again, huge thank you for all the quick responses and support!

@STXmedic - Around the Tyler area (not just because I'm named after it : ) - either with ETMC or Champion EMS, in that order.

@Mjolnir - I too am big on emailing. I ran my own business for about 6 years, and email was always the way to go, mainly for record keeping. It's always nice to be able to both review information, and to hold both parties accountable.