EMT - B Isn't this abnormal 3 1/2 months

Scmedic08

Forum Probie
Mine was at a tech college but we started when in the summer and lasted 6 months going 2x week for 4 hours. I remember a lot more ride time than that though, I believe I did 10x 8-12 hr days on the truck. That truely helped when I got out in the real world.

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
mine was 5 weeks. 8 hours a day. Got to love the military

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Is that all? For how long? And only TWO rides????? And its a 'well known college'????????
Sorry but to me it sounds more like an Emergency First Responder course than an Emergency Medical Technician course. (FYI, my EMT course was nearly 5 months long, 480 contact hours plus 100 hours ride-a-long (ALS) and 10 hours emergency room).

480 hours? Wow! My state only requires/required 130 hours plus about 20 hours of practicals. Sounds nice that you got a really in depth course, but I don't think that is anything near the norm in most places.

Chad

Forum Ride Along
Mine is 252 hours. 2 x 4 hour nights a week, 8hrs. every other Saturday. 20hrs. ER & 20hrs. EMS clinicals. Started end of September and will end the first week in March. The program is through a regional hospital not a college or tech school.

Charity

Forum Probie
The one I'm going to take is 3x a week, about 4 hours a night for a semester, so if mine is anything to go by, yours sounds pretty standard!

cchamberlain97

Forum Ride Along
Is that all? For how long? And only TWO rides????? And its a 'well known college'????????
Sorry but to me it sounds more like an Emergency First Responder course than an Emergency Medical Technician course. (FYI, my EMT course was nearly 5 months long, 480 contact hours plus 100 hours ride-a-long (ALS) and 10 hours emergency room).
if you don't mind me asking, where did you take your course?

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Fortis College, Mulberry, FL...they are no longer there though