On myself at all times in the field:

2 pairs of gloves
Pair of trauma shears
Littmann MC2
Small writing pad
Pen
Gerber Hinderer
Pager and Radio
iPod (with Epocrates, protocols, and drug lists)

Thats about all I need for 99% of basic assessments and care.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
All this info was very helpfull. What makes that scope so bad ***?

Its just a very good price point stethoscope. Littman is the gold standard for stethoscopes and its just one of their more affordable products that is still very high quality.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The small legal pad is the most important thing I carry, along with a pen. I can never remember numbers so I try to write everything down. Every shift a pad gets put in my pocket, a cubby in the cab door, and the clipboard.

We aren't allowed cargo pants and I have no desire to spend money on a large belt, so I don't carry much else. My iPhone has Epocrates and dispatch on speed dial for those questions you don't want to ask over the radio. Sometimes there might be a pair of gloves in my pocket, but there is a box on the stretcher.

If we have a call that the necessitates bringing the first in bag in, I put my shears through my belt so I can cut open the seals on the bag. And yes, the shears in the bag are in a sealed pocket. Lately I've been cutting all the seals off the bag at the start of shift... I bring my own stethoscope in too since I know it's been cleaned recently.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
All this info was very helpfull. What makes that scope so bad ***?

There are a million and a half threads on stethoscopes, and twice as many opinions. My reasons are thus:
  • I test as having normal/good hearing. However, too much background and I start to have trouble processing the different sounds and separating them. I find it impossible to talk to someone in a bar/club, even if they are yelling directly into my ear. I just can't un-focus the background sound out. Talking on the phone and radio can be equally difficult for me. The earbuds on the Littmann 'scopes are soft and mold very well into almost anyone's ears. Very comfortable, and very good at muting any other sounds. The little $10 scope that came with my sphygmomanometer had hard, injection-molded plastic ear tips that literally cut my ears. I threw that :censored: in the trash, with malice. The scopes on the rig are of a little better quality than that, but they still don't cancel out as much noise as my Littmann, and the double tubes introduce more noise at the slightest movement or jostling.
  • I also like that the Master line are all single-sided units - and while that can limit the usefulness of the scope on paper (despite what the PR says), for BPs and breath sounds it does just fine; in the field you're not listening for a heart defect. I don't have to worry that the head got twisted, I don't need to tap it to make sure I'm set correctly, and I don't have to worry that I'm touching it and accidentally adding my own sound via the bell/diaphragm.
  • As Tigger mentioned, there is also the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly where the stethoscope has been, and when it was last cleaned, when you're jamming it in your ears.

All that being said, it is absolutely unnecessary to go out and buy a scope, especially a Littmann, right off the bat (unless maybe you have hearing issues). Like learning on an acoustic before you go electric, it's probably actually more beneficial to learn your core skills on the equipment that's there, so you're never dependent on one scope to do your job.

llavero

Forum Crew Member
JJR512 said:
1. What is "fisiological serum"?
I've made a grammatical error. I wanted to write "Physiological serum" (normal saline) instead of "fisiological serum".
I've also misspelled "exploration lantern" instead of "pen light". Sorry. -_-

JJR512 said:
2. How do you carry a stethoscope in your neck? Doesn't that get in the way of your carotids, jugulars, trachea, etc.?
:D :D That's good. When I wrote "in" really wanted to write "around". In Spanish, the prepositions are used differently than in English, so I have erred in choosing the prepositional form.

dixie flatline said:
...I'm not going to knock his translation since my Spanish would be a lot worse...
Well, if you have any questions with the Spanish language I offer myself to you to resolve it. :lol: (Really)
dixie flatline said:
I'm going to assume that "fisiological" is a misspelling of physiological. sérum physiologique = normal saline.
You're absolutely right ;). I often think in English, but writing, I do it in Spanish and then change the "ph" for "f". There are grammatical errors I make often. I have to improve the English language. I am a big :censored:

JJR512 said:
My sincerest apologies, llavero.
No matter, we all make mistakes. But in this case my grammatical error has been enormous. I am giving my head against the wall for make this mistake. :rofl:

Note: If I have make any grammatical error in this post... so sorry. But I am totally agree that you correct me. So I can learn more. Thanks my friends. ;)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
My equipment consists in a holster with:
- gloves
- thermometer
- tweezers
- clamps
- two scissors
- exploration lantern

In my pockets:
- a pocket mask
- a glucometer
- some gauzes
- some mini bottles of fisiological serum (5 and 10 ml)

In my belt:
- a lantern
- a multi use leatherman model wave

Excepcionaly (in my neck):
- a stethoscope

That's all.

Thats heaps. I get annoyed having to carry a radio. Do you find that a vest with all that gets caught on things? Is it something that you only wear at accidents, or do you wear all of that in to see, for example, an elderly woman with abdominal pain?

Well my name is Randy Mcghee. I am going to begin getting my fire and emt certs in 9 months when my wife finishes her RN program.

I was wondering if anyone can give me a list of tools/equipoment/accessories that I can pick up my self.

Should I have my own responder backpack/bag?

Just to add my voice to the crowd, there is no need to getting your own stuff. When students start medical school, do you think it would be necessary to go out and buy an ECG, suture kits, CT scanners etc?

A stethoscope is a personal item, so you'll want one of those. Better off buying some books mate. It'll help you out a bit more. Your company should provide all the gear you need but the smarts? You gotta bring your own :)