EMT-B course as High School Senior??

jacob619

Forum Ride Along
Hello Everyone,

I am a senior preparing to finish my last semester in high school. I am interested in the fire service and know that my first step to achieving this goal is becoming an EMT. The local college is offering an EMT course beginning in January. I have a few questions about the course as follows:

1. Is the EMT-B course difficult?
2. Would you recommend this course while still in high school?
3. What are main considerations when enrolling into the course?

Any other information that can help me in my decision of enrolling in the course while in high school would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

Have a wonderful holidays! :)

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
What's up, man! I think I can answer a few of your questions.

1. I wouldn't say the course is super difficult. It definitely consists of a lot of book learning, studying, and LOTS of memorization. You definitely get out what you put into it. EMS is something I enjoy, so I found it to be very interesting. Therefore it was much easier for me to get through the course.

2. If you have good self discipline and can properly manage your time, it's definitely possible to take while in high school. I myself took the course at night 2 days a week during 2nd semester of my senior year. However, it did take some work to manage getting my main homework done, working part time, and having a social life. Be prepared to make a few sacrifices, but realize it will be worth it in the end. I found it to be super valuable having my EMT already done right out of high school. I was able to get a head start on a career way ahead of a lot of people I knew. For being 18, it's halfway decent money.

3. Definitely consider the schedule. Lots of places offer EMT part time on nights, weekends, etc. Again, I strongly emphasize time management. Find a good schedule that will allow you to work on your main schoolwork and attempt to have a little bit of a life. Any extra time you have free I would definitely recommend studying. Also, make ample time to do your clinical shifts. You might have to ditch school a couple days if your local agency won't let you ride on the weekend like mine did. Most importantly, don't wait til the last minute to knock out your ride time! Give yourself plenty of time to get out there and practice the skills you've learned.

I wish you the best of luck and happy holidays!

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
If your a good student you should have no problem with EMT as a high school course. Time commitment might be slightly higher than other courses and there is a lot of memorization. I say go for it, it might be hard to find the time later.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief

It is, but it isnt at the same time. If you are decent student, you will do fine. If you have taken Anatomy in high school, and you are able to read and write, from reading your post it appears that you can, you should be fine. Just remember this will take up some of your studying time.

There is a local high school where I work, that offers EMT classes to HS students. It is possible to get through EMT class, but just remember you will be the youngest in the course most likely, and your main focus still needs to be high school. If your able to handle both course loads than Yes go for it

Is this truly want you want to do for a living. This course is just a small tiny stepping stone for EMS and into medical field. The other main consideration is being able to handle the course load. There is a bunch of threads on here about how EMT school is and all that, I highly recommend looking at them, and reading those. Majority of your specific questions regarding the class can be answered there. Also don't be afraid to ask a question on here, but I do highly recommend you search for your answers first.

PM me if you have any specific questions you would like to know.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Still haven't done that lit search.

Abbreviations:
Google is, as in all things except privacy, your friend here, but there's a faster way.
spacer.gif
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=11290 A great list of the common abbreviations, courtesy of tydek07.

Shortest abstract EVAR.

"Hai guise I'm new..." part 2: The EMT-B Student
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=13820 Some advice from forum members. Please don't start another thread like this, the enthusiasm is almost painful.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=10778 The big, meandering thread for fellow EMT-B students.

"What should I buy?": I've seen a few of these, and I'd suggest that you buy absolutely nothing that isn't required. Some good pens, maybe.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=6489 Some of the deficiencies of EMT-B education. This is a common theme, and if you stick around, you'll see many of these same posters elaborating on it. Pay attention.

Honestly, there's not much to add. I've covered the NREMT, vitals, and sundry other things you might find interesting. Please search before starting a thread about anything having to do with this topic. More specifically, before starting a thread about the grading of your last test, your performance on it, or your issue with your instructor/classmates, consider whether people here can help you. If you need to vent, try the students thread above. If you need advice, I suspect someone else has been in the same predicament and did start a thread. If you're afraid the answer will be "I'm sorry that your school's terrible, and that you're out $800.", it probably will be.

Reactions: Jon

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
1. Generally no it's not extremely difficult. It's just a subject that is new to learn. As others have stated its a lot of memorizing information.

2. It's going to depend on yourself, your high school, and the program. Some EMT programs require you to be 18 at the start of class. Is it during the night or weekends so that you are able to take the class? Will you have some time off to schedule clinical shifts and/or field time? Do you want to have free time (not saying that taking a program will mean you have zero free time). Do you play sports that require practice time?

3. My answer is in #2 aswell.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Hello Everyone,

I took my EMT while I was in high school. I'm now a medic in a busy 911 system, and also do some SCT/MICU stuff. I'm also working on finishing a RN.

1. No. Not usually. However this can vary widely. Don't just pick a program you hear is easier than others. Remember, you need this course to prepare you for the NREMT exam so you can get licensed, so the easy route might not be the best route. Ask around your local programs, and find out their national registry first time pass rates. The pass rate can be very telling of the quality of a program. It's hard to compare the difficulty to other High School courses to EMT school because EMT training is a mix of classroom and hands on training, BUT if you have good grades and don't struggle in high school you shouldn't have a problem.

2. Yes, absolutely. Even if you never use your EMT, it is great knowledge to have. It is also great to have on a resume, especially if you plan on trying to get into another heath career. Taking my EMT was by far one of the best decisions I made in High School, and it has opened many doors for me.

3. I have laid most of them out in the above two questions. Just remember, the course needs to prepare you to pass the NREMT, and train you to be semi-competent in the field. You won't feel fully prepared after any EMT course, but experience and a good field training process can makeup for whatever you lacked in EMT school. Just remember, if you can't pass NREMT and get your license, then you won't ever get to work. Also make sure you meet your state's age requirements. You may also want to check if you can get hired as an EMT in your area if you are under 21. There are a lot of services that won't hire people under 21 for insurance purposes.

OP
OP
jacob619

jacob619

Forum Ride Along
I want to start off by thanking everyone for their responses and the great information. I was a little hesitant to sign up for the class due to financial reasons. I know this is what I want to do and I will take the class now. I am worried it will be difficult to take along with my regular courses, but I need to be responsible and do what I need to be successful. Again thank you for all the detailed responses and, as always, information is always welcome. Have a great night everyone!

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
No problem, we are glad to give feedback on stuff like this. You might be able to talk to your High School Counselor and be able to take the course in lieu of one of your other classes.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
@jacob619 you'll do well. you are extremely motivated for someone your age. Don't be afraid to drop back in the forums if you ever need help understanding stuff you are being taught in class. There are some very bright EMTs and Medics on here that are willing to share what they know to help you out. Study hard, pass the NREMT. Merry Christmas.