EMT-B Clinical Rotation

LifeSaver98

Forum Probie
I am an EMT-B student and Wednesday is my first clinical rotation at the fire station. I have already worked several hours at the ER but have not worked any hours at the station. I will be working a 24 hour shift.
What should I bring?
How do I make a good first impression?
How do I get the guys to like me?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I never did a rotation at a fire station, but if i had to guess, bring what you NEED and nothing else. i would browse and find the forum for "new EMT what should i bring" in the BLS Discussion thread. To answer how to make a good first impression, remember you are the STUDENT they are the professionals, ask good questions, and give RESPECT. If your respect the men and women of the fire station you are at I see no reason why they will not like you.

OREMT

Forum Probie
Bring ice cream for the crew. Really.

I'd suggest brushing up on your meds and equipment knowledge; in my experience I was quizzed a lot and it went a long way to making a good impression to have answers at the ready.

Also, to reiterate what NysEms2117 posted, really engage with the calls that you observe/participate in and ask good questions. This is the best opportunity you probably have right now to see what the job is really like.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Also, practice auscultated blood pressures if they allow you to. This is such a lost art, IMO.

Don't try too hard, be yourself, be optimistic, as others have said, ask questions when you feel the need to.

Never EVER underestimate the foundation a good basic assessment and skills provides for other, more advanced providers in the field.

And never EVER get caught up in the "I'm just the EMT" mindset, heck 15 years or so later, so am I.

Most of all? Have fun!:)

nater

Forum Crew Member
In addition to the above, offer to help the crew with their chores, washing the rig, etc... It will go a long way to building friendship and trust for future shifts.

ALena

Forum Ride Along
I did clinical in FD for 12 hours....just had my uniform, EMT book, and $20 for food (They pay I pay)

Jane

Forum Crew Member
We only have to do 10hr shifts (2x) with the FD in my program, each semester. So glad we don't do 24hr shifts!

I took pretty much everything I take with me to class (books, notebooks, etc) so I'd have something to do during down time. Also stopped and picked up donuts for them. Definitely take sweets to get on their good side. Haha