Emt-B..cant find a job :/

Quel23

Forum Probie
:mellow:Its been almost a year since I completed my EMT-B class and passed the NREMT, I have applied to a few places here in town and each time I get a 'going with other candidates'. Should I be trying to do volunteer work or ride alongs to make my resume more appealing, because I have no experience :/

MrJones

Iconoclast
Have you considered asking why you weren't selected when you've been turned down? Or what you could have done to make yourself more competitive? I can't believe that there are no companies in your area who hire new EMTs; there must be something you are (or aren't) doing in the application/interview process that's holding you back.

To answer your actual question, getting more experience is never a bad idea.

OP
OP
Q

Quel23

Forum Probie
No I haven't repsonded to why or what I can do better in my resumes. They are consistantly hiring and I put my resume in every time. But I have no experience at all. I will have to contact this time around if I get a denial letter. Thanks for the feed back!!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Unfortunately, you're entering a business with a relatively saturated market. In many cities, there are more EMTs than jobs, and employers can afford to be picky and choose only candidates within their narrow characteristic ranges. Some easy disqualifies include...

Age (many companies like emts over 21 years)
Experience (yeah, I get it, you have to start somewhere)
Driving record/criminal history
Interview skills (perceived as motivation, reliability, resourcefulness, etc)
Pre employment metrics (written exams, practical exams, lift tests)
Resume quality (you may have been thrown out of the race without more than a quick glance at your application or resume. Think about how to write and format them so as to emphasize your strengths and sell yourself. Why does this company need to hire you? Now?

Think about these elements and see what you can do to hone your heuristics presented self to these companies.

One more note... its my experience that your best chance of being hired (in any industry, but especially in EMS) is to network... and tap into these people. Ask when the companies are hiring, what they look for in applicants, who to contact or any tips for interviews. Push friends in the business to introduce you or make connections when necessary. Your class instructor is also a good person to network with, so its worth getting in touch.

Good luck!

stickclicks

Forum Probie
Have you considered asking why you weren't selected when you've been turned down? Or what you could have done to make yourself more competitive?

Awesome advice, if you can get the time with someone from the company.

Dealing with similar issues Quel23, been searching for 6 months, only had the opportunity of being shot down twice. In the greater Phoenix area in Arizona it seems like most of the larger private ambulance companies are owned and operated by Rural Metro. I went as far as trying to get some face time with HR to discuss what they were looking for and what would make me more marketable as a candidate, but no luck, not even an email back. Also attempted to go to their main office and speak with HR, no luck. Everything is done electronically, and it is frustrating to battle this faceless giant.

I just keep telling myself persistence is key, and in the mean time I am finding ways to continue my education.

Keep up the good fight.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Perhaps you need someone to help you improve your resume and cover letter. Those two items are key elements and attention grabbers, or not, to prospective employers.

----------------------edit------------------------------

And one more thing, add resume builders like CPR instructor cert, volunteer with state parks work, or other community service. Stuff like that will help to make you look energetic and motivated.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You say you have your NREMT... dumb question... did you apply for state cert too?

If not, no one will hire you

medicnick83

Forum Lieutenant
South Africa, they are always looking for EMT-B's! If not for the EMS companies here (private and government) then for events and such.

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure about the ambulance companies in your area, but around here most ambulance companies also provide cabulance services. Here in the Seattle area, there are definitely more basics than there are jobs. I began working for my company as a cabulance driver while I went through EMT school and they gladly switched me over to BLS once I passed my NREMT.

Working for a company in any capacity demonstrates the true nature of your motivation, work ethic and integrity better than any resume or interview. There's a reason why so many combo fd's only hire from within or at least award substantial preference to their established volunteers.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm not sure about the ambulance companies in your area, but around here most ambulance companies also provide cabulance services. Here in the Seattle area, there are definitely more basics than there are jobs. I began working for my company as a cabulance driver while I went through EMT school and they gladly switched me over to BLS once I passed my NREMT.

Working for a company in any capacity demonstrates the true nature of your motivation, work ethic and integrity better than any resume or interview. There's a reason why so many combo fd's only hire from within or at least award substantial preference to their established volunteers.

THIS!!! Great advice.