EMT-B and Virginia

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Wondering what kinds of places if any would take on an EMT basic in Virginia, particularly around the Charlottesville area.

I'm torn at the moment between going straight through medic school here or doing Basic through finishing my undergrad. Assuming I can get accepted to uni, but that's a different story.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
In Charlottesville, the EMT-B jobs are at medical transports and LifeCare. Both do IFT, Medical Transports has the contract for MJH to UVA runs and does a lot of those.

I tell anyone who will listen to me that the place to work if you want to have fun and learn how to do EMS is Richmond Ambulance. It is worth the drive from Cville even, for the experience. Nowhere in Central VA will you get as much experience in a short amount of time.

Are you volunteering anywhere?

OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Shadowing, yes.
As far as volunteering, I'm considering taking a job as a scribe, but even that's a paid gig.
I'd be relocating from Texas, so I'm not just terribly familiar with places to volunteer there.

Also, how far is Richmond from Cville? An hour or so? That wouldn't be terrible if the pay was decent.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Hey recently started using scribes in the UVA ED and I look at those kids and see that they are in an excellent position to learn a lot. If you have upward aspirations in medicine, that would be a way better place to spend your time. I surely would if it was at all convenient for me.

Cville is a bit more than an hour from Richmond. The pay is not great, but passable, and the shifts are mostly 12s or more. Not sure if Richmond is hiring BLS providers this year.

OP
OP
Vetitas86

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Awesome!
Hopefully I'll know about the scribe job soonish. That ones at Methodist in Dallas (I think), so it'd be awesome experience.

I'm leaning toward med school, but if I'm satisfied being a medic, so be it :)

I'll definitely look into UVA's ED.

Medico

Forum Lieutenant
I'm employed with Medical Transport as a EMT-I. I started here as a B. It's a great company. They are expanding which is good. I got a pay raise and bonus this year. MTI has given out pay raises a bonus' for as long as I can remember. They have a great 401b and benefits. Medical Transport is owned by Sentara Enterprises so anywhere Sentara is MTI will be there doing the transports. MTI also does 911 for Hopewell and several other counties. Great place to work, I can't complain.