EMT-B administering IV's?

TX_EMT_RXY

Forum Ride Along
I'm in the process of becoming and EMT-B and taking a 6 week cram course thru CINTAS in Houston, TX..

A friend of mine from where I am originally from (Connecticut) asked me if EMT-B's of TX are allowed to administer IV's? We haven't covered anything about it in my class and I don't even know where to begin looking for an answer on the internet.. Can anyone help out? I would appreciate it alot! :)

medic417

The Truth Provider
There is no statewide policy in TX, but for the most part no. The services medical director determines what each level can do. There are some very rural areas where the medical director has approved basics to start IV's.

TXMEDIC5317

Forum Crew Member
EMT-B's in Texas can't do IV's, only Intermediates and Paramedics on the streets. Some EMT-B's that work in ER's can, but it depends on the hospital's scope of practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
EMT-B's in Texas can't do IV's, only Intermediates and Paramedics on the streets. Some EMT-B's that work in ER's can, but it depends on the hospital's scope of practice.

Incorrect, the state does not limit them. Medical director can approve basics to do IV's. Sadly there are services in Texas that have basics doing IV's.

slloth

Forum Crew Member
6 week EMT course! Wow. Good luck. Keep us informed on it.

And yes The Medical Director has the authority to add it to the EMT-B's scope.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Wrong.

TX_EMT_RXY;

Texas is what is known as a "Delegated Practice" state, meaning that the limit of the governments overreach in to EMS protocols is "It's up to your medical control".

If your MC wants you to do an IV as an EMT, he has that right as it's his license you're using. If he wants a Paramedic to open a chest in the field, he has that right, so long as he prudently trains / educates them on the procedure.

Typically, you won't see an EMT starting IVs, however there are a few procedures /drugs that doctors in Texas allow medics to do that are relatively rare elsewhere.

medic417

The Truth Provider
6 week EMT course! Wow. Good luck. Keep us informed on it.

And yes The Medical Director has the authority to add it to the EMT-B's scope.

Yes I agree 6 weeks is to long for a 2 week course.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Three, medic, three week class.

I don't want to do 60 hour weeks in school... it's bad enough I do it at work!. We have to keep it to 40 hour weeks and be realistic :D

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Plural of IV is IVs. IV's=IV is, or, belonging to the IV

medic417

The Truth Provider

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL, sorry, simply a pet peeve of mine.

medic417

The Truth Provider
LOL, sorry, simply a pet peeve of mine.

Hey I preach being professional and that mistake on my part shows lack of professionalism.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey I preach being professional and that mistake on my part shows lack of professionalism.

I guess we should report this to your state board of ems and have them launch an investigation?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I guess we should report this to your state board of ems and have them launch an investigation?

No way!!! Call the medical director at home and have them immediately suspend certification, then give 'em the chair!!!

Oh sorry, we are talking about a grammar error, thought we were in another thread about the moral turpitude of EMS :):p

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Medicus

Forum Probie
I think the level of ridicule for someone asking an innocent question on this board is unnecessary and detracts from the purpose of an EMS discussion board. I particularly love how medics mock EMTs- it's as puerile as seniors making fun of freshmen. Every medic was an EMT at one point.

Incorrect, the state does not limit them. Medical director can approve basics to do IV's. Sadly there are services in Texas that have basics doing IV's.

I don't see the problem with it. The amount of damage you can do with them is relatively limited and they free up hands on a call.

By the same turn, just imagine what an MD could say about EMT-I or P.

-Medicus

medic417

The Truth Provider
1.I don't see the problem with it. The amount of damage you can do with them is relatively limited and they free up hands on a call.

2.By the same turn, just imagine what an MD could say about EMT-I or P.

-Medicus

1. That shows you do not know what you think you know. There is much harm we can do with IVs up to costing a person their life.

2. I agree Paramedics in the USA do not have nearly enough education for the treatments they are responsible to provide.

Medicus

Forum Probie
1. That shows you do not know what you think you know. There is much harm we can do with IVs up to costing a person their life.

2. I agree Paramedics in the USA do not have nearly enough education for the treatments they are responsible to provide.

EMTs (I am using this now to refer to medics, since that is what they are- EMTs) seem to have a vastly inflated sense of self-importance. Deaths from IVs are incredibly rare. Do you know what Medicus means?

I would again like to understand your hostility toward the OP for his attempt to understand more about his field. I am going to frame this conversation in the same manner you responded to the OP- if you went to medical school, you would immediately have a DDx for why you respond this way from a psych clerkship.

Yours,
Medicus

medic417

The Truth Provider
EMTs (I am using this now to refer to medics, since that is what they are- EMTs) seem to have a vastly inflated sense of self-importance. Deaths from IVs are incredibly rare. Do you know what Medicus means?

I would again like to understand your hostility toward the OP for his attempt to understand more about his field. I am going to frame this conversation in the same manner you responded to the OP- if you went to medical school, you would immediately have a DDx for why you respond this way from a psych clerkship.

Yours,
Medicus

Number one I showed no hostility to the OP so drop that crap.

Actually under the new levels no Paramedics are not emts they are Paramedics.

Medicus is the maker of a darn good golf club. Or by definition can be as high as a doctor or just be a hospital orderly. In your case your remarks are leading me to come up with another definition but I will leave that alone.