Emt approach

OP
OP
S

sisoybolso

Forum Ride Along
Dang I thought I read it was a diabetic emergency, not that he just followed protocol for one. Lol.

Yes, I would still have gotten a bgl just because I do with all unresponsive patients. I just do.
Yes, all type 1 I have seen are usually diagnosed after severe thirst, fast weight loss, excessive urination etc. Which goes hand in hand with hyperglycemia, not hypoglycemia.

What was this patients outcome?
As I arrived to the scene I did not know it was a diabetic emergency (later I found out)

Mariemt

Forum Captain
In Pennsylvania only ALS can measure bgl.
I am an EMT so that limits my actions
Seriously?
I measure BGL on all my unresponsive patients, possible stroke patients , intoxication calls....etc
You wouldn't believe how many possible strokes are actually low blood sugar. How many intoxicated people are hyper or hypo. And a majority of altered statuses are low bgl.

Take that away from basics and why have bls?

OP
OP
S

sisoybolso

Forum Ride Along
Seriously?
I measure BGL on all my unresponsive patients, possible stroke patients , intoxication calls....etc
You wouldn't believe how many possible strokes are actually low blood sugar. How many intoxicated people are hyper or hypo. And a majority of altered statuses are low bgl.

Take that away from basics and why have bls?

I agree with you, welcome to the commonwealth of Pa.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The reasoning around these parts is that basics stop short of invasive procedures and a stick is invasive.

Which to me, is slightly ridiculous since BGLs are designed to be used at home by non medically trained people going about their daily lives. But I guess it's a slightly moot point when county dispatches ALS to every little call

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Which to me, is slightly ridiculous since BGLs are designed to be used at home by non medically trained people going about their daily lives. But I guess it's a slightly moot point when county dispatches ALS to every little call
Not to mention someone slightly altered, a basic can give oral glucose and keep it basic level. This case no, the child needed Iv dextrose but many cases a bit of glucose does the trick. Saves the medics for more critical pts