EMT and full time student

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I am a full time student in the fall and just finished my EMT class.

How hard is it to work part time as an EMT and be a full time student at the same time? I guess on slow shifts I could study. However, doing transports I bet I wouldn't have that much free time to study? Advice?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I worked as a contingent EMT while taking 20 credit semesters in college. Usually it would be four shifts a month, which wasn't too bad. During the summer, while I was doing summer classes, I'd work quite few more.

I always brought homework/books along with me, and working for a mainly transport company, I had plenty of time to read.

It worked for a while. I eventually cut back and then quit working while I was in college, but for a while it worked out just fine.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
You can do it! I worked FT for my last 2 semesters of college (not as an EMT, but my hospital internship turned into a FT position before I even finished my degree requirements).

It takes dedication & sacrifice, but you can do it. And it might get you a little hooked on staying so busy. I'm always taking a graduate class or filling my free time with things to do b/c I was so used to constantly going, going, going.

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
G

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Just signed up for courses. Taking 18 credits, one of which is a medical terminology course. I am kind of skeptical that it might suck because it is online. If it does I will drop it within the first week. It was the only one offered.

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
I worked part time all the way through medic school... YOU CAN DO IT!!!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Glorified;50758 I am kind of skeptical that it might suck because it is online. If it does I will drop it within the first week. It was the only one offered.[/QUOTE said:
why are skeptical that it will suck? So your assuming its awesome and they hide this or something? :rolleyes: I believe this course is taught online in most places now.

OP
OP
G

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Oh thats good to know firecoins. thanks for the info. I'm more optimistic now.