EMT Accessories

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I would say that a lot of us more "experienced" folks have learned to do more with less. We're kind of a lazy bunch... we don't want to carry any more gear than we have to, so we constantly add and subtract from what we bring with us or have on our person on calls. When it comes to stethoscopes, find one that's between about $25 and $60 and you'll have a decent stethoscope to learn with. Price isn't entirely an indicator of how good a stethoscope is, but price range is. While you're in EMT school, you really don't need the really good stethoscopes, you just need one that will allow you to hear the Korotkoff (BP) sounds and the presence of breath sounds such as fine/coarse crackles, and the like.

When I left the field a few years ago, I usually carried some gloves in a belt pouch, some scissors, a pen light, my stethoscope, some pens and a note pad, and some coffee... I tended to travel pretty light.

After a few years of working in the field, I eventually acquired a Littmann Cardiology III stethoscope, and I have used it since. It's a wonderful stethoscope and I can pretty much hear darned near anything I need to with it and for fieldwork it's probably overkill, but since getting into nursing school, I've found that I use it every day and it's still an awesome performer. I wouldn't have gotten one just for school though. It's probably too expensive of a stethoscope for what I would typically need.

What do I bring with me to clinical these days? I bring only those things that I'm going to need to have on hand and actually use every day. You'll find that being an EMT or Paramedic ends up pretty much the same way... you'll bring only the essentials because everything else is already available at hand.

Have fun learning, and sorry if I seem like I've carried on a bit. It's a little bit late and I can tend to ramble on a bit...