EMT, 2nd time around!

mm505

Forum Crew Member
Hi folks! Old time former EMT/Paramedic here. Worked from 1980-1985 as an EMT and 1985-89 as a Paramedic in the Metro Atlanta area until a back injury too me out (not EMS related!). Now, 23 years later, back in EMT school and coming back to the streets! Shame I have to start all over again, but then again, there have been a lot of changes since I left out!

Glad to be back!

/\/\|k.e

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
I'm impressed you figured out how to work the Internet machine at such an advanced age.

Welcome!

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome back to EMS. It seems it is a small world after all(live in the same county). Good luck with school and everything.

OP
OP
mm505

mm505

Forum Crew Member
At 57 years old - I will definitely be called Grandpa! :rofl:

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Welcome back to the field!

I lived in Cobb County for 5 years in Marietta. Great area, hopefully will find my way back some day.

OP
OP
mm505

mm505

Forum Crew Member
I'm hoping to return to EMS back in Cobb as that is where I last worked!

Am I a glutton for punishment or what? :rolleyes:

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Where in Cobb did you work? I've been debating revocations to that area for some time. Any recommendations on services to check out?

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
For Cobb specifically, you've either got Metro Atlanta Ambulance or Puckett EMS. One has one side of the county, the other has the other side of the county. Both run with Cobb Fire providing ALS transports, Cobb Fire is an ALS non transporting Dept.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mm505

mm505

Forum Crew Member
I worked for them both back in the 80's. I'm hoping to get back with Metro after I get my numbers back.

FYI I live off of Steinhauer across from the Sweat Mountain ball fields.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I've heard good things about Puckett from a buddy who worked there a few years ago. I'm a bit weary to get on with another private, but its certainly worth checking out. I'll look into metro as well.

I lived a few blocks away from Lassiter HS, went there until my sophomore year when I moved up the east coast.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I've heard good things about Puckett from a buddy who worked there a few years ago. I'm a bit weary to get on with another private, but its certainly worth checking out. I'll look into metro as well.

I lived a few blocks away from Lassiter HS, went there until my sophomore year when I moved up the east coast.

Puckett from my understanding, and having done a few clinical shifts with them are that, they are a fairly to very good service to work for. If I remember correctly they do alot of in house CEU's. They are also a CAAS accredited service. They do run currently with type 3 trucks on the Ford E series that are from '08 to present. They do have 3 older type 3's as a reserve, they also have their own in house dispatch center. I know some people don't like doing transfers but even if your on a 911 truck, you will get called to do transfers, that's just how it is. Night shifts are alittle weird, they have one 12 hour truck that will cover all of their response area while they have three 24 hour trucks at the 3 different stations, but aslong as the 12 hour truck is not on a call, the 12 hour truck will get it regardless of where its at in the response area. They are a decently busy service but you'll have down time aswell, if you want to stay busy, go to Grady.

They do have a EMS bike team that rides along the Silver Comet Trail, as well as they send new EMT's to the company down to Children's to drive they NICU truck for about 6 month's before rotating them back to Puckett's station. Puckett also has it's own MICU truck.

http://www.puckettems.com/

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Metro Atlanta is also CAAS!

Yep, Metro Atlanta and Puckett are the only 2 services in the Metro Atlanta area that have CAAS. The only other ones are AmbuCare out in Breman, and National EMS in Conyers.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I looked into back-bridging from RN to EMT-B to get special event work. Not worth it, and I'm too beat up to do the usual street thing or perform rescues.