EMS with a language barrier

lacountylifeguard

Forum Probie
Hi All, I'm an American motorcycling through Southeast Asia and in just a couple weeks I've come up on multiple traffic accidents that have involved varied injuries. I always stop and try to help, and I travel with a first aid kit in my bags, but unfortunately I don't speak any of the languages spoken in this part of the world and most of the people here don't speak English, so I obviously can't do PQRST, assess LOC, etc. Are there any counterintuitive methods of assessing a patient with whom you can't speak effectively?

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Now you know how veterinarians must feel. :) I would say you can get some semblance of LOC based on their reaction. At any rate, I think it is nice that you try to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
A lot of times just go through your questions they may know more than you think.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
Hi All, I'm an American motorcycling through Southeast Asia and in just a couple weeks I've come up on multiple traffic accidents that have involved varied injuries. I always stop and try to help, and I travel with a first aid kit in my bags, but unfortunately I don't speak any of the languages spoken in this part of the world and most of the people here don't speak English, so I obviously can't do PQRST, assess LOC, etc. Are there any counterintuitive methods of assessing a patient with whom you can't speak effectively?

i always found it helpful when addressing OPQRST on a patient who doesn't understand me to just go ahead and punch em' in the neck,
then go owie? see owie? works for me :lol:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
I would recommend using the internet to find translations of the basic questions. OPQRST, SAMPLE and other general questions. This would help you greatly.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldnt even worry with PQRST or SAMPLE. You wont be doing any interventions that really need that much detail, let alone trying to hand over to EMS workers who dont speak english.

I'd just do the basics for any serious accidents, pressure on an arterial bleed, CPR, spinal immobilisations maybe. Anything not life threatening why bother stopping

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You've been taught / have treated unconscious people, right? Just act like it's that.

Pantomime is a universal language.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldnt even worry with PQRST or SAMPLE. You wont be doing any interventions that really need that much detail, let alone trying to hand over to EMS workers who dont speak english.

I'd just do the basics for any serious accidents, pressure on an arterial bleed, CPR, spinal immobilisations maybe. Anything not life threatening why bother stopping

Yeah, that about sums it up...

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I apologize for hijacking this thread. Anyways, I noticed that people are doing OPQRST and was wondering if anyone else does OPQRSTI?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I apologize for hijacking this thread. Anyways, I noticed that people are doing OPQRST and was wondering if anyone else does OPQRSTI?

Yeah. It's the exact same except for the add I for interventions. We were taugh either way you wanna do it is fine as long as you get the information.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Hopefully people in these countries aren't sue-happy enough to charge you with something for touching a conscious patient without his verbal consent :)

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
There is much that the clinician can learn from simple observation in place of silly alphabet soup

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Come on folks, no ones given him the universal advice for dealing with language barriers. In english, talk REALLY loudly and REALLY slowly!

Tommerag

What day is it?
Had my first experience with the language barrier last Friday at a bad rollover accident. Both the patients were Albanian. Interesting experience anyways. Being from South Dakota dont really run into language barrier very often.