EMS with a Felony

Medicbob

Forum Probie
Can it be done? Yes! I have been going through it for years now. I pretty much would move anywhere for a job as hard as it has been to finally get to this point. Had anyone ever had this issue or am I the only one? I'm sure I'll hear plenty of responses like "just be honest." I can tell you that THAT does not work. I feel like I need to move to one of those ban the box states...

Background: Credit card abuse ($150), 8 years old, Licensed paramedic now since then. They say turn your life around, yet never give you a chance even when you do the right thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Confusing story is confusing and doesn't check out.

Honesty isn't supposed to "work" you should do it because it's the right thing to do, regardless of the outcome.

A quick Google search for Felony theft amount in Texas says State Jail Felony is for $1,500+, but less than $20k.

So, 8 years ago you had $1,500 in credit card abuse not, $150 when you were 8 years old?

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
Try Nevada.... Never gonna happen in CA with a felony of moral turbtitude. These are the two states I have info on.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Confusing story is confusing and doesn't check out.

This. Im finding it extremely hard to believe that a 8 year old would be charged with felony credit card fraud. Especially when the amount is so petty (only $150). Furthermore if in fact you are a felon didn't you have to do jail time once you were 18? How would you be able to get into a EMT or Paramedic class when FBI background checks are conducted?

Im sorry but I'm not really believing your story.

EMT707

Forum Crew Member
I believe the conviction is 8 years old.....meaning it happened circa 2007ish? That's the way I'm interpreting.

Either way, apply to have your felony reduced to misdemeanors and the have misdemeanor expunged if your state has this process. Then wait a few years from date of expungement and apply.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Derp, misread a post... typical me. Still, a felony for credit card abuse for only $150? Seems like a misdemeanor offense to me.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm sure I'll hear plenty of responses like "just be honest." I can tell you that THAT does not work.
Sure it does, you just don't like the answer. Every potential employer is going to require you to disclose a felony. Maybe some will work with you on that. But no one will work with you if you are deceitful about it later.