EMS serviees in NJ

Mishka

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys. i am currently looking for some sort of per-diem thing in NJ EMS. Im NYS certified and currently working in the NYC911. I just want some change of scenery from Queens and East New York, so if any of you know any good places, please let me know. Also, i heard NY cetificate is taken in NJ, is that so? Thanks for all your help. Mishka.

themuffin101

Forum Ride Along
yes, you can apply for reciprocity and transfer your cert over to NJ. They usually make you take a recert class and take a test though

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
yes, you can apply for reciprocity and transfer your cert over to NJ. They usually make you take a recert class and take a test though
sorry, but no, wrong wrong wrong!!! absolutely 100% wrong, and completely unnecessary work.

8:40A-7.3 subsection (a) says "A person validly certified as an EMT-Basic by the NREMT, the State of New York or any member state of the Atlantic EMS Council (currently Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia) shall have status as an EMT-Basic. No further testing shall be required, and the EMT-Basic certification card issued by the out-of-State certifying agency shall be valid for the purpose of proof of EMT-Basic certification."

http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/documents/njac840ar.pdf

So as long as you keep you NYS EMT valid, you can work in NJ with a NYS EMT patch on your shoulder (assuming your agency will accept it, most will or give you time to transfer).

Now that we cleared that up, the follow up question is 1) where do you want to work, and how far of a commute do you want 2) do you want busy urban, busy suburban, semi busy suburban, rural, or something else 3) are you looking for days, nights, weekends, etc 4) do you want a 100% paid agency, or combination paid and volunteer system and 5) do you want 100% 911, mostly 911 with a few transports, mostly transports with a few 911s or a little of everything?

There are many places that have paid/per diem staff in the NYC metro area, ranging from GWB area in bergen county all the way down to Perth Amboy by the Outerbridge crossing. Some pay better than others, some are busier than others, and some areas are better than others. But it would also depends on where you are coming from, to limit your commute.

let me know, I might be able to point you in a good direction as to where to start.

themuffin101

Forum Ride Along
thank you for being so subtle in telling me I am wrong. WHEN IM NOT!!!. i helped a friend with this and spoke the the state about this. I know multiple people who have done this. Yes, you can act as an EMT in NJ with a NY cert BUT... if you want to become NJ certified you must do what I said. Many places require that you DO get NJ certified. Call up the state yourself and tell them they are "wrong wrong wrong," see how far you get.

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
I am getting my NJ Cert in a 2 weeks, and I will be looking for a job. as for where and when. well

where : Central / north Jersey

When: Anytime day or night

I really need a job. I have been unemployed for 7 months now. It sucks.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
thank you for being so subtle in telling me I am wrong. WHEN IM NOT!!!. i helped a friend with this and spoke the the state about this. I know multiple people who have done this. Yes, you can act as an EMT in NJ with a NY cert BUT... if you want to become NJ certified you must do what I said. Many places require that you DO get NJ certified. Call up the state yourself and tell them they are "wrong wrong wrong," see how far you get.

8:40 and 8:41 are the regs by the state that govern BLS and ALS (respectively).
He just quoted reg 8:40.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
transport companies
Lifestare - Totowa, NJ and Edison, NJ some 911 is done here
Aero - Hackensackm NJ
Arron - Hackensack NJ
FU CHs EMS - Fair Lawn, NJ has dedicated 911 units in Fair Lawn. It won't let me spell FU CHs correctly
Hackensack Hospital, hires transport EMTs,

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
911 trucks

Jersey City Medical Center
University Medical Center
Elizabeth Police Department

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
firecoins, the PD no longer does the ambulance service in Elizabeth. the FD now oversees ASB. why they don't make it it's own stand alone service, idk, but i digress.

for transport, you also have trinitas EMS, pulse medical transport, lifestar, able, alert, Essex Valley EMS in East Orange and probably more than a dozen small crappy private services.

for EMS, University Hospital in Newark, Robert Wood Johnson EMS in New Brunswick, Woodbridge EMS, Linden EMS, Raritan Bay EMS in Perth Amboy, MONOC North in Irvington and MONOC South in Monmouth County, and probably more in Bergen County that have either 9 to 5 coverage or 24/7 depending on the areas.

most of these places have websites, but some you actually need to call to figure out if they are hiring and what their processes are.

good luck

NJN

The Young One
Atlantic Ambulance also does 911 06-1800 in several towns. They do both transport and 911.