EMS Red Flag Rules

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
A while ago a poster came to EMTLife looking for "Red Flag" training, and we weren't quite sure what to say. I got an email earlier today that actually brought up the subject, and after a little searching I'm learning that:

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has announced the "Red Flag Rules," which are designed to help "creditors" prevent identity theft. Traditionally, healthcare providers have not been considered "creditors," since we typically do not charge interest. But, under the new rules, if you defer payment for your services, you will be responsible for watching for these red flags and taking steps to respond to suspected identity theft (as if you didn't have other things to do!). The FTC will begin to enforce these rules on August 1, 2009, for most healthcare providers.

The main thing I found interesting was:
You must identify any relevant red flags, taking into consideration the risks inherent in your type of business. For healthcare providers, those risks include patients using someone else's insurance policy or name and address.

How does your service do that?

White Fang

Forum Probie
I come from the mortgage industry, I can tell you that I do not see EMS doing that, it concerns regarding the credit report, look for particular things, also age where the SSN was issued when etc... the SSN has a pattern which every number means something....
on the other hand we as EMT's we need to protect the patients ID. Depending who you volunteer or work for you obtain the INS. info SSN, DOB etc... and you need to secure all the data the you obtain from any patient.
Now as of who is really the patient (they are who they say they are) if you take the info because you need to bill it and has to be included on your run report just ask for the DL and INS. card and compare it, if it doesnt match you question it....if you dont need to put it dont worry but if you want to you can ask for the patient for the DL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I think this may be one of those things that is above the actual provider's head. We technically don't even collect billing info from the patient, we get their name and such so they can be registered at the ED and then we collect the billing info from the ED registrar. The patient doesn't provide it to us directly.

We type the info from the face sheet into the proper box on the PCR and send it off, our billing service takes it from there. Since we (the providers) aren't collecting any info from the patient, nor are actually doing the billing I wonder how it affects us in the field.