EMS progression will never be driven from outside EMS

Summit

Critical Crazy
http://m.content.healthaffairs.org/content/32/11/1893.short

We talk about progression. We talk about increasing the education minimums. We talk about CP. Some dreamers talk about paramedic practicioners.

You all know I support BS or 3 year degree entry Paramedics and 2 year AEMT as the lowest level. You all know my counterargument to CP is: why not RNs? You all know that my counterargument to Paramedic Practicioners is: why not PA/NP? Obviously some disagree.

But what do the industry and policy driving physicians, med school deans, hit, mph, and think tank wonks... what do they think?

They think that NP/PAs are too expensive (and too much of a competitor to MD/DO) and the vo-tech training model for EMS is the perfect model to bring to economic primary care.

They don't want degreed medics. They don't want CPs to be more than technicians with add-on training, and they surely don't want more mid-levels. I see tons of EMTs and Paramedics working in Medical Assistant jobs in primary care offices, jobs previously the realm of the LPN, sometimes the RN.

This model won't bring autonomy, professional status, or a living wage to EMS. I also debate the papers contention that this is the solution to the primary care crisis.

That paper I posted was handed out to all the medicine interns and residents at the academic hospital I work at. This is the systemic thinking that advocates of EMS progression face.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sorry, "CP" means..?

I feel EMS cannot progress unless it is propelled by external demands (laws and lawsuits). I feel if the threshold to enter is raised too far, the already- lower level of service truly rural or frontier areas get will get worse. I feel the glut of applicants makes it impossible to organize internally into unions and associations. So I am beginning to feel that modern ambulance and prehospital EMS needs to either be civil service, or civil service-influenced.

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
CP=Community Parameidc

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hm. New to to me. Sounds Aussie!;)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
So I am beginning to feel that modern ambulance and prehospital EMS needs to either be civil service, or civil service-influenced.

Fully municipal EMS wouldn't be a bad idea. Or more not-for-profits, perhaps.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Fully municipal EMS wouldn't be a bad idea. Or more not-for-profits, perhaps.

It's not a bad idea. Works very well in some places.