EMS Noobie looking to dive into EMT B training in Boston Area... where do I start?

OP
OP
S

srowell

Forum Probie
I don't know if you already have all the information you need, but if it helps I just completed the EMT-B course with Boston EMS, and I HIGHLY reccomend it. Captain Scarna, who teaches the course, is the best teacher I've ever had. You get to do practicals with the materials they use for the state exam regularly (and all your instructors are state examiners as well as current EMTs working in the Boston EMS 911 system). It's also not that expensive.
I would definitely be interested in hearing about your experience at Boston EMS. How long was the course?

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
Boston area ems / private services

Hello all from Chitown! I'm going to be moving near Boston soon & would like to know if any medics from there can give me any names of services that have the best reputations as far as their salaries, benies,& most importantly services that medics want to stay with. I have 28 yrs as an EMT-P here in Illinois & have my EMT-P Mass. license & ACLS + I'm also an experienced Firefighter. My relatives are from the Boston area so I know in general about the locals, just want to find out the who's who of the area. I was able to google Lifeline in Woburn (looks good) & have heard + things about Cataldo. Any advice? Thank you.
Kevin from Chicago..

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not a fan of lifeline.
Action is based out of Woburn too and haven't heard bad things.
Armstrong - drive 5minutes down the road for their hq
Eastern - very small but also in Woburn.
Cataldo - good rep, has a good stronghold on its service area, rivals action
Atlantic - a division of cataldo that services north I cataldo's area.

I don't know much about eastern but the others aren't bad.

imurphy

Forum Captain
I can tell you first hand, Cataldo is a nice place to work. The supervisors are helpful and not just out to bust you. Dispatch is great and overtime is EVERYWHERE if you want it. The trucks are generally good and low milage.

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
Massachusetts ems licensure.

I took my EMT-P last year for Mass, & after sending my documents (you need current ACLS as well) to Boylston Street & the fees, I went to W.Springfield & took a 175 question written on a computor & received my Comm.Mass. EMT-P on site after the graded my exam. Outside of paying the fee to the Commenwealth & to the company PSI for taking the exam I thought it was pretty painless! It was expensive for the out of pocket issue, but Massachusetts is a beautiful place & I hope I can sort out where/who needs medics.

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
Mass. EMS.

I just read the posting from imurphy & mikeN. Cataldo is good? I'd like to check them out. Do any of the services allow someone to come ride 3rd person to see for themselves? Also, I have relations in Braintree off Bickford Street. My Dad & family are originally from Roxbury off the ole St.Francis De Sales St. I was there last year in Boston & the burbs & I think it's great!! I'm really getten the itch to go back to stay, I'll look into those services you've mentioned, thanks to all..
Kevin ...

Last edited by a moderator: