EMS Learning Curve

HWhite98

Basic B*
Hello all. It has been a few months since I have posted here, but some of you may remember me. So I started my EMT-B course back in February and it is coming towards the end. We are at the point where we can start getting our patient contacts signed off and begin precepting. I also was accepted with the volunteer rescue squad I wanted to join back in February and I just got accepted into the fire side.

This particular station I am stationed at is consisted of mainly volunteers as well as 4 career members at all times. I really enjoy going to all of the shifts (there are 3 in total, A, B, and C) but as with pretty much everything in EMS, I have noticed there is a learning curve as to what the certain medics on each shift prefer and how they like things done. As a new provider and student, I don't have the experience to know how things should operate and how to read other providers signals.

It isn't that bad, it is just after running with a certain shift I get used to how they like to have things done, and then when I go with another shift I will sometimes find the AIC of that shift getting frustrated with me because I didn't do something the way they like it to be done. I am not at all questioning there knowledge, what I am wondering is as a new provider, how can I shape myself as a provider and learn all the individuals pet peeves and standards.

Obviously with time, I will be able to learn, it is I just really don't like making the medics frustrated. I know not to take it personally, and trust me I don't. I know it is all in the best interest of the patient.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Why not just ask the lead medic what they want?

"Hey, I last ran with A shift and they wanted me to do x, y and z. Is that what you'd like, or do you want me to do something else?"

The medic should appreciate your willingness to be proactive, instead of waiting to be told what to do.

Last edited:

Accelerator

Forum Probie
Every medic is different. Just ask them how they want stuff done. When you work with the same people after a while you will learn people's preferences.