EMS Law Question

diver989

Forum Ride Along
Dear Fellow providers,

I need some help with a question.

Can an EMT or Paramedic be held responsible, by their employer/ agency, for loss of reimbursements for patient care for failing to produce a PCR in a timely/ billable time frame? If there is any information out there, please list it for me or send it to me via a PM.

Thank you all for your help!!!!

Bill
diver989

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

What do you mean exactly by held responsible? As an EMT I knew that a completed PCR signed by a doctor was my responsibility. I forgot on occasion and was written up for it.

Could you be disciplined? Absolutely.

We really need more specific details though. What is the situation? I hope that helps.

OP
OP
D

diver989

Forum Ride Along
I am looking to see if there has been any attempt to hold a care giver responsible by their employer for a loss of reimbursement for failing to complete the PCR and having it billed accordingly.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
From what I understand from workplace law, an employer can include in your job description a requirement to fill out PCRs in a timely manner-- for several reasons (they dont need to mention them). If you found not to be "doing your job" but not fulfilling that portion of the description, they can punish you. Other then that, I dont know.
What was the specific situation?

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you mean financially responsible? Your employer can discipline you as it is a general requirement of the job to complete your patient reports. You should complete all reports prior to the end of your shift.

There is not a "statue of limitations" so to speak for most insurances. The exception is usually Medicaid which allows for 60-120 days depending on the state.

It would be moronic to hold an employee financially responsible, a broke EMT is not going to be able to cover a patient bill. But you do have a responsibility to complete your work, plus think of it this way, the more money you bill for = more money in your companies pocket, i.e. your future raises and benefits, etc...............................

firecoins

IFT Puppet
why are PCRs not being filled out with each call?

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
Dear Fellow providers,

I need some help with a question.

Can an EMT or Paramedic be held responsible, by their employer/ agency, for loss of reimbursements for patient care for failing to produce a PCR in a timely/ billable time frame? If there is any information out there, please list it for me or send it to me via a PM.

Thank you all for your help!!!!

Bill
diver989
I take it you mean cna they basically bill you for them not getting paid for an ambulance trip because you didnt file your pcr in time. correct?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
PCRs can be filled out by an RN, NP, PA or MD/DO. On my private service if you forget a PCR then you lost your call bonus, but nothing more.

OP
OP
D

diver989

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone that replied. There has been an issue with care givers not doing what is right by filling out their PCR's and the employer loosing the reimbursements for calls without a PCR to bill for services. I am just inquiring and not looking to open a can of worms. I am just looking for some insite from pre-hospital care givers from outside of my geographical area if anyone had heard of anything like this as punitive discipline.

Thanks again

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You are talking about two issues here. One is the responsibility to accurately record the data from a call and the other is the employer's right to recoup their losses from the employee.

It is dangerous for any EMS provider to not accurately record the call. They are leaving themselves open to a lot more than being spanked by their boss if a call ever goes to court. In most agencies, progressive discipline is used to bring the offending worker into compliance with the report requirements.

The issue of charging the employee for the monies lost due to their negligence is a matter of contract or terms of employment. Some states forbid employers from passing on those kinds of fees to their employees. It's been done with bounced checks charged to the employee that accepted them; Employees charged with the value of merchandise damaged or stolen while they were working; and Employees asked to make up the difference out of pocket for the amount a till is out of balance. Most of these have been challenged in court and found that the employer, as the owner of the business is to absorb those losses as a cost of doing business. The Employer has the right to fire an employee who is not performing their job, but in most states, can't pass on business related expenses to the employee.

I'd call your local Labor and Industries office regarding the laws in your area.