Ems in Vermont

Nolamedic86

Forum Ride Along
Hey y'all so I will likely be moving to Vermont in February of next year. Currently I am an NREMT paramedic in New Orleans. How is the job scene in Vermont as far as medics go? Is it mostly volunteer, or paid? How hard is it to get my state cert.? Probably looking around the Newport area. What is the pay like? I understand its more rural EMS, which is what I would like to get involved with. What about search and rescue is that run by FD, or separate companies? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a head start on everything that needs to be done. Any other tips of advice would be great.

KiloSierra

Forum Ride Along
man i really wish people would respond to these things… did you actually make the move? and if so how is it?!

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
In short, the job situation sucks. Most jobs throughout the state are held by volunteers, including many paramedic jobs. The few paying jobs are in heavy, heavy demand by people who rashly believed that volunteer work would lead to paid work. The more rural it is, the more volunteer as most areas cannot support paid responders.
Licensing: If you wish to be licensed by reciprocity, you need to find a job first that will sponser you. The state has not entirely moved to NEMTR based licensing. Find the job and hope they will be willing to wait for your license to come through. I have not yet had luck with that scenerio. The state says it is only a week or so.

CFal

Forum Captain
Try northern EMS, if you want a fire job south Burlington is transitioning to being a paramedic service