EMS in the projects

Jayxbird521

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone work as an emt in the projects?

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Define "projects"

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The service I work for covers two counties with 3 medium sized cities. My vollie dept has the entire spectrum from rich to poor. Short answer would be yes, but I also work the suburbs, the country club, the commercial sector, the farm lands, the industrial sector, etc....

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
only when i have to

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think some of the nursing homes that my old company went to could be called "projects." Actually, I think that the real projects would probably be cleaner and safer than some of those nursing homes.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think some of the nursing homes that my old company went to could be called "projects." Actually, I think that the real projects would probably be cleaner and safer than some of those nursing homes.
Probably had fewer cases of MRSA. But they might have had more Hep C :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
So, does MRSA taste like chicken or does chicken taste like MRSA?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Probably had fewer cases of MRSA. But they might have had more Hep C :)

MRSA is not just for nursing homes nor is Hep C just for economically poor areas.

A lot of factors influence and determine the atmosphere of the "projects". Not all "projects" are the same in cultural or ethnic make up. There are many all white American "projects" that developed from a down turn in the prominent industry for that particular region. There are also many "projects" of differing ethnic backgrounds that are safer than many small town USA types because of similarities and the sense of family strength even if impoverished.

To use the word "project" loosely and in a negative context could be misrepresenting a lot of hard working people who live in poverty for a variety of reasons. I know a lot of people who relied on blue collar jobs in factories or mines and unions to take care of them instead of going to college. When layoffs hit, they went from middle class to zero in just a few months. Many of them traded their 3/2 homes for an apartment in the "projects".

As far as nursing homes being in bad shape, I think that says alot about the American advocacy for healthcare and taking care of our disabled and elderly. Now we have over 30,000 wounded soldiers returning to this country to find themselves relying on similar situations in our healthcare system even for some of the privately contracted services. These disabled soldiers may also find themselves living in this country's "projects".

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Great points, Ventmedic.

The comment about Hep C was based on the assumption that IV drug abuse was more prevalent in public housing complexes than a nursing home... I was attempting to be somewhat humorous.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
way to take a joke outside and beat it to death with a haligan bar vent...

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The comment about Hep C was based on the assumption that IV drug abuse was more prevalent in public housing complexes than a nursing home... I was attempting to be somewhat humorous.

The people who are now in the nursing homes may be former IVDAs who are disabled. There is also a whole generation of older people who contracted HCV from blood transfusions. Hemodialysis patients, too, have a higher prevalence of HCV infection. Several factors have been associated with an increased risk of HCV infection in hemodialysis patients, including number of blood transfusions, duration of hemodialysis, previous transplantation and IVDA.

KEVD18, there is a whole forum for EMTs and Paramedics to get into "project" discussions for laughs. It is fairly easy to GOOGLE. I would hope you're not referring to me advocating better healthcare and benefits our wounded soldiers coming back to the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
someone made a joke. everybody else(well maybe that not fair but at least i) read it as a joke. you tore that statement meant as a joke apart like someone posted as a serious remark that you though was innacurate. i realize that there is an entire humor section. that doesnt mean we cant have a chuckle in another forum.

i recognize you as one of the true experts on this board. you also strike me as a very brilliant practioner. along with some of the other guys here that fall into that catagory, it seems you have lost the ability to just let something slide and have a laugh at it.

i sincerely hope i never get to the point in my life and or career when i cant laugh just for laughings sake.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
KEV18,

Does anyone work as an emt in the projects?

Quote by JON
Define "projects"

This discussion was started on EMS TALK. Projects are not something we should be laughing at. They are a statement that defines a way of life for some that shouldn't happen in the United States.

My lack of humor on this topic comes from a sad reality that I am now seeing in the ED on this 5th anniversary of the Iraq War with 4000 dead soldiers. I started my EMS career a few years post Vietnam. What our young soldiers are going through now is very reminiscent of that era. Living in the projects and drug abuse are rapidly becoming a reality for this generation. Foreclosures are at an all time high. People are working multiple jobs to keep up with their mortgages and put gas in their cars.

Maybe you are still very young and can not think about tomorrow but I seeing what a toll today is taking on the patients.

But other than that, thanks for the compliment.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikie

Forum Lurker
Projects are not something we should be laughing at. They are a statement that defines a way of life for some that shouldn't happen in the United States.

Agreed.

I'll restate my neutral opinion: I go where I'm dispatched, if the scene isn't safe, I can wait for LEO or whomever. I place no judgment.