EMS In-Station programs with Fire

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
If your young, single with relatively nothing keeping you in SoCal, why not explore other agencies in other states that might be better for your career options than working for a private in SocaL?
This is a excellent idea for anyone who is still single. I've done it and that's how I ended up in Georgia working for the government as a paramedic and I love it out here. Yes California has a lot to offer but it's not the greatest for EMS period and no place in California that is single function EMS is a part of the really nice spots. Sorry Kern county cult and others, but I've been to many places in the state over the years and those that are single function EMS, my opinion is I wouldn't want to live there. Granted everyone will have their own opinions on what makes a place great for them to live in.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Yes California has a lot to offer but it's not the greatest for EMS period

Plus the taxes... don't even get me started on that...

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
Your chances of landing an in-house spot with Care is exactly zero. They are highly sought after because nearly every EMT who filters through the LA/OC 911 EMS system wants to be a firefighter, and obviously a fire station spot would help them.

If your goal is to be a firefighter, either McCormick or Care will help you get your feet wet. But like he said, EMS for private Ambulances sucks in LA and OC.

That Santa Monica contact sounds a lot better than it might actually be. The previous provider didn't responded code 3 to any call unless it was a cardiac arrest or fire was on scene. Why? The fire department wants to get on scene first. They want to be the first heros the patient sees, and what their tax dollars are paying for. This can get extreme. A medic I worked with quit from AmeriCare because he was forced to work as an EMT when in Santa Monica, and told to stage on an MVA that he could see because fire was on scene. When they were finally allowed to enter the scene the fire medic put the leads on backwards (an honest, common mistake that we all make.) Being a paramedic, in a paramedic uniform, he put them in the right places. The fire medic yelled at him and told him to never touch the monitor because he didn't know what he was doing.

That's the level of respect you can expect.
I don't miss it.

Wow, I knew the Fire/EMS overlap has some brushed shoulders but I didn't know it was that bad.

Why not just apply for a fire department that has an AO program?

Do some time at Care or McCormick then get an AO job with one of the FDs.

I actually never knew that existed and it seems really interesting. Riverside Co. Fire also has a reserve FF spot I might look into as well.

If your young, single with relatively nothing keeping you in SoCal, why not explore other agencies in other states that might be better for your career options than working for a private in SocaL?

I've asked myself this a lot. California, while beautiful, has some of the worst people I've come into contact with The firearm laws particularly make me wanna leave. The only reason I stay is because I plan on enlisting in the next couple of years, and incorporating an out-of-state move is kind of risky in that. I don't want to move somewhere and then stay put for good, if that makes sense?

Thank you all who replied though, I got some great information. I never knew SoCal EMS had this dark side hahah

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
@Virgil , the military doesn't give a single flying raccoon where you live when you enlist- it's a federal force, and as long as you have a clear record and are physically and mentally fit and capable, you're fine. There is literally no risk to moving except that you might have too much fun. But, as long as we're on the topic, let me introduce you to something:

https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood-act/
Basically, if you're a Texas resident when you enter the military, when you get out and once you finish your regular GI bill (36 months of full-ride school), Texas gives you another 150 credit hours of school tuition-free. So yeah, if you've got plans to enlist, Texas is the place to do it from. 150 credit hours on top of the Post 9/11 GI Bill is quite literally a doctorate if you're diligent.

California has discounts on license plates.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The only reason I stay is because I plan on enlisting in the next couple of years, and incorporating an out-of-state move is kind of risky in that. I don't want to move somewhere and then stay put for good, if that makes sense?
So, let me ask you this: what do YOU want to do? if you want to enlist, than go enlist. I do agree, moving and then enlisting doesn't make much sense, especially if you won't stay where you move to. otherwise, there is no risk to moving, getting an apartment somewhere and a job, and then enlisting.

I don't know your exact situation is or why you are going to enlist "in a few years," but you are only young once, and if you want to enlist and see the world (or whatever your motivation is), why not do it now? the civilian world will still be around. But if what rocket medic says is true, than texas is even more appealing to enlist from.

RocketMedic

It's totally, up-front true. If I knew now what I didn't know then, I'd have moved to Texas and enlisted from there.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It's totally, up-front true. If I knew now what I didn't know then, I'd have moved to Texas and enlisted from there.

That’s one hell of a deal right there.

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
@Virgil , the military doesn't give a single flying raccoon where you live when you enlist- it's a federal force, and as long as you have a clear record and are physically and mentally fit and capable, you're fine. There is literally no risk to moving except that you might have too much fun. But, as long as we're on the topic, let me introduce you to something:

(Links not allowed for me I guess)
Basically, if you're a Texas resident when you enter the military, when you get out and once you finish your regular GI bill (36 months of full-ride school), Texas gives you another 150 credit hours of school tuition-free. So yeah, if you've got plans to enlist, Texas is the place to do it from. 150 credit hours on top of the Post 9/11 GI Bill is quite literally a doctorate if you're diligent.

California has discounts on license plates.

Hot damn, that is some sweet benefit.

So, let me ask you this: what do YOU want to do? if you want to enlist, than go enlist. I do agree, moving and then enlisting doesn't make much sense, especially if you won't stay where you move to. otherwise, there is no risk to moving, getting an apartment somewhere and a job, and then enlisting.

I don't know your exact situation is or why you are going to enlist "in a few years," but you are only young once, and if you want to enlist and see the world (or whatever your motivation is), why not do it now? the civilian world will still be around. But if what rocket medic says is true, than texas is even more appealing to enlist from.

I plan on getting an Option 40, which the usual route to getting into the 75th Ranger Regiment. I'm on top of my PT but nowhere near where I should be hitting(300+ APFT) Getting into something like that, I would hate to rush it and wash out. Talking to some of the guys who have graduated recently, the oldest guys in RASP were later 20s, early 30s. So I still have a couple years, but you are right. I'm definitely going to give old Tejas a closer look, because that it just too good to pass up.

RocketMedic

Bro, here's the deal about the 75th.

it's all luck of the draw, and unless you get Ranger school in your contract, it really doesn't matter. Also, Ranger slots get handed out like candy to units looking to send people, and the truth about those people "succeeding" in RASP is that they are primarily people who already have some time served in a conventional infantry unit. If you're delaying enlistment on the pipe dream of maybe getting into the 75th, you're being quite foolish- you're not going to get any more fit in the civilian world, fitness really isn't as great a determinant for success/failure as it seems you're making it out to be, and the "Plan" doesn't really sound terribly feasible to be honest with you. Honestly, even if it was written by Mattis himself that you'd have a shot at Ranger school fresh out of OSUT or AIT or whatnot, there's nothing stopping Maybe-Successful Ranger School Graduate @Virgil out to anywhere in the Army. My free and unsolicited advice is try the Army before you go full Ranger. (This goes double if your plan is to PT yourself to Ranger/SF equivalence in civilian EMS, good luck with that). Plus, the 75th doesn't do the same cool stuff as a lot of other units (have you ever jumped a Stryker or shot an Abrams? I have).

The vast majority of washouts from training are mental. I myself realized Ranger wasn't for me when I realized I really didn't like the Army anymore....after a combat deployment, three years in and while the Ranger assessment SGM was walking us hundreds of times around the brigade parking lots so we could see our POVs in the middle the whole time. I'm fat and happy now lol.

Best job in the world is a conventional Army 68W on a line unit.

PS- if you're going to bet the farm on a school option, don't waste in on Ranger or really anything physical. Get some once-in-a-lifetime training out of it and then go to Ranger school. For example, powerplant mechanics or medical equipment repairs. 501st BSB literally sent their med-maintenance section to Europe for a week for Zoll classes and something they needed.

RocketMedic

The short version is that there's better, more-successful ways into the Rangers or the real SF than you're aiming at. Your way is possible, but....less likely.

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
The short version is that there's better, more-successful ways into the Rangers or the real SF than you're aiming at. Your way is possible, but....less likely.

That's fair. Thank you for the response, I think I'm gonna take it as it comes right now. I have my ride along soon and I hope to get hired by McCormick when I get my cert. After that, whatever else will happen in due time.