EMS in Montana

pt71301

Forum Ride Along
Hi
I live in NYS with hopes of retiring in about 7 years, to Montana. Looking for info in the Kalispell area re: EMS agencies and any other pertinent EMS info that anyone is interested in sharing. Does Montana use NREMT-P, or have its own state certification?
Thank you to any/all who may reply.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Would you mind providing a brief overview of what's changing?

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
What they are changing is the Levels of EMS.
A person who was a QRU would now be an EMT.
An EMT with endorsements is going to change, I cannot remember what right now.
Same with Paramedics.
They are dropping the requirement for having a NREMTS certification. A person can go ahead and get their NREMTS card or keep it but it is no longer required.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
The changes coming to EMS in MT are the same as everywhere else, it's just the transition to the national standard curriculum. We currently use the NREMT for licensure, but after the first of the year (2014) there will be a state test option. NREMT at all levels will still be accepted as a method of reciprocity.

As for EMS in the Kalispell area, I believe that KFD runs in the city. Any smaller community that has anything at all is probably volunteer, and most of them are licensed only at the BLS level.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
The changes coming to EMS in MT are the same as everywhere else, it's just the transition to the national standard curriculum. We currently use the NREMT for licensure, but after the first of the year (2014) there will be a state test option. NREMT at all levels will still be accepted as a method of reciprocity.

As for EMS in the Kalispell area, I believe that KFD runs in the city. Any smaller community that has anything at all is probably volunteer, and most of them are licensed only at the BLS level.

While I have thought of moving to MT, that would be quite a change as their are virtually no volunteer ambulance services or FD's except basically in the boondocks.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
While I have thought of moving to MT, that would be quite a change as their are virtually no volunteer ambulance services or FD's except basically in the boondocks.

Not sure if I'm catching your meaning, but there are several volunteer EMS and Fire departments in and around our major cities. Most communities have at least a VFD with a few EMTs or EMRs, however in some of the smallest ones (read <5 residents/sq mi.) they don't even have that. Part of what you have to remember is that our cities are not what much of the rest of the country would consider sizable. Billings, our biggest city has 100,000 residents, with about 35,000 living in the surrounding community. Almost all of our cities (>30,000) have suburbs with volunteer EMS and Fire. Even some of the larger communities with paid departments have a volunteer auxiliary. Just in the Billings area you have upwards of 20 volunteer departments to choose from, most of which will let you do just EMS, just Fire, or both.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure if I'm catching your meaning, but there are several volunteer EMS and Fire departments in and around our major cities. Most communities have at least a VFD with a few EMTs or EMRs, however in some of the smallest ones (read <5 residents/sq mi.) they don't even have that. Part of what you have to remember is that our cities are not what much of the rest of the country would consider sizable. Billings, our biggest city has 100,000 residents, with about 35,000 living in the surrounding community. Almost all of our cities (>30,000) have suburbs with volunteer EMS and Fire. Even some of the larger communities with paid departments have a volunteer auxiliary. Just in the Billings area you have upwards of 20 volunteer departments to choose from, most of which will let you do just EMS, just Fire, or both.

I left out the "in my area" part. Sorry for the confusion.