EMS in Canada?

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
Hello everyone. New to the forums! Thought I would start out with a big question I have.

I really want to move from the U.S to Canada. The best way for me to gain Permanant resident status is to get a job offer (according to an attorney I spoke to) with my bachelor's in criminal justice, there is not much I can do in Canada without being a PR or citizenship first. I'd love to eventally join a fire department or police force.

My next possible job option is EMS. I am currently an EMT-B in NYC. With research I see that my cert would possibily transfer to an EMR in places like Alberta once I get some more hands on experiance. Anyone know the chance of being able to obtain a job as an EMR in Canada in my current position?

I was also looking into Paramedic programs in Canada. I emailed some schools in Toronto. So far the ones that answered do not accept international students.

Any advice anyone could give me?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hello. Getting a work visa can be difficult .... Even more so if you want to go to a specific area. Having a bachelors should help a bit.
Of the provinces the license EMRs... I don't know of any that allow foreign training. You would have to start from scratch and take a PCP program. EMRs are usually only used for transfers and very rural areas.
Ontario has 2 year pcp programs. They also have a job market where note medics are produced than job, so it is very competitive.
I was able to have my EMS degree recognized and accepted in Canada as ACP. My wife is American and went through the PR process.
If you have any more questions I will do my best to answer.

OP
OP
N

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
@Medic Tim Thank you for your answer. I am not looking to go to a particular place in Canada. I wpuld like to end up in Toronto, but I would settle anywhere at first. I just heard it was easier in Alberta to get I to EMS.
I am willing to do whatever it takes to get in honestly. I would not mind getting my certification in Canada. Though I can't seem to find a program that will take international students. Do you know of any?
Also, just to clarify, you transfered over your certification, got a job offer and applied for Permanant Residence? Or were you already a citizen of Canada? I am only asking because if a Paramedic job offer would not be a strong enough job offer for me to get my application accepted, I would consider maybe looking into another degree. Possibly nursing or some sort out job in Canada. This is the way I would prefer to get in since it is what I know, but getting to Canada is the goal.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am Canadian. My wife is American. I live right in the border and went to a U.S. School.
You won't be able to transfer in U.S. Emt. If you get your aemt you will have a shot at getting pcp status.

I know holland college in pei does and medavie health Ed in NB and NS do as well. For pcp and acp.

I am not sure what the labour market is right now for medics.... But to get s work visa there needs to be a shortage of workers.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
I am Canadian. My wife is American. I live right in the border and went to a U.S. School.
You won't be able to transfer in U.S. Emt. If you get your aemt you will have a shot at getting pcp status.

I know holland college in pei does and medavie health Ed in NB and NS do as well. For pcp and acp.

I am not sure what the labour market is right now for medics.... But to get s work visa there needs to be a shortage of workers.
Any input if the roles were reversed and an American medic married a Canadian?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Any input if the roles were reversed and an American medic married a Canadian?

That's my situation. My wife is Canadian, from Nova Scotia. I heard it was easier to get licensed there. I started to look into it, but my wife really has no interest in moving back to Canada. She always says, "I left for a good reason".

There are a few threads here dealing with American paramedics getting licensed in Canada

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
NS is revamping the process... Not sure how much is has or is changing. Used to be if you had Nremt and a state license you could challenge their exams.

If you are married to a Canadian you can get permanent resident status. All the rights and privileges as a citizen .... Except you can't vote.
Takes about a year to fully go through. You would be viewed as a Canadian on your employment applications.

OP
OP
N

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
I think the best bet is to talk to an immigration lawyer. My sister works in that field. Going to see what I can do.

Paramedics make a lot more money in Canada from what I have researched. Seems like a calmer lifestyle as well, which is what I am looking for. I love it. Visit all the time. Actually going there again in July to see some family friends.

Also @Medic Tim do you know how the region nomination works? That was something else I saw. Not sure exactly what it is though.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I work in the oil fields. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Make a great salary... Even for canada. I love my time off and not killing myself working ot. My company covers flights and expenses. We have a few Medics who live in the USA.... My wife and I are considering moving down to the states in a few years
No idea what a regional nomination is.

CdnArmyMedic

Forum Ride Along
If you're looking to work in Toronto as a Paramedic......good luck. The collages here graduate more paramedics than there are jobs. So you will have 1500 applicants for say...10 jobs. It's the same with taking the PCP program. It's very competitive.

OP
OP
N

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
@CdnArmyMedic Yeah I am realizing now it is not the best path.

I was looking into maybe going into a BScN nursing program in Toronto. Do any of you have any input on doing that? I know RN are on the skilled workers wanted list. I always planned to possibly go into nursing anyway.

OP
OP
N

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
@Medic Tim new question.

In Canada, even if you go to nursing school in canada and pass the province nursing exam, you cannot be a Registered Nurse unless you already have perminant residency. So you cannot apply to any jobs there.

Is this the same for Paramedic? Would you have to be a PR or would passing the Paramedic exam and getting a work permit be enough.

Just hypothetical. I know it is hard to get one.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am unsure how it works for nursing but there is not a residency requirement that I know of. My company employs medics who live in other provinces and who reside in the USA.

OP
OP
N

NYCEMT92

Forum Probie
Thank you @Medic Tim is your company a small company? Or one for a whole provnice (not sure if it works like in NYC we have FDNY EMS and then private and hospital ems)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I work industrial/oilfield . It is not part of the 911 system. We provide coverage to worksites, camps, plants, etc.
I usually work in clinics that cover 1-5k. Some of our sites are as many as 12 k. I work for one of the bigger industrial companies that has numerous contracts . When one ends it isn't long before you get another.

My last service was in New Brunswick. It did 911 and transfer. It was the only ambulance service in the province.

Some provinces operate that way. Some have a mix of 3rd service municipal or county, some private, some hospital bases and even a few fire based....this is mostly on the west coast. The easy cost mostly runs on a provincial level.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Keep in mind too that with jobs being competitive services can pick and choose and often put preference to those who are from or live in the area, went to school in the area, precepted there, etc.

In Ontario IFT is largely done by unregulated patient transfer companies which pay poorly since their staff are just transfer attendents.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
In terms of getting a work permit in Canada it is easier if you are a fast food worker, or domestic worker to get a work permit than it would be for a EMT or Paramedic to get one.

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
Ontario medic services are by region, there is no provincial or private run ambulance services. ORNGE (provincial) is our flight medics and transport medicine they do the critical transfers. Pricate transfer services do 80% and all have the EMR training you speak of they are unregulated. Pay is low like wolfman said. Medics salary up here is great but job market is bone dry. Two years in college for primary care, one additional year for advanced care which are more in demand than primary care.

harold1981

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone know where I can find an overview of the skill set of an ACP in Nova Scotia, and a list of drugs that he is allowed to use? Also, are the treatment protocols of the EHS anywhere to be found online?