EMS Educators / School Owners

erik412

Forum Ride Along
Good Morning,

I'm in the process of starting an EMS school and had a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answers for. I'm going to start of small with an EMT class, 1 or 2 EMT refresher classes and CPR classes.

1. What type of insurance is needed other than the standard property/renter's insurance?

2. Am I required to be bonded and if so, how much?

I'm sure there will be more questions down the line as I continue to research every aspect of an EMS school.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help.

Erik Peterson

MrJones

Iconoclast
Good Morning,

I'm in the process of starting an EMS school and had a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answers for. I'm going to start of small with an EMT class, 1 or 2 EMT refresher classes and CPR classes.

1. What type of insurance is needed other than the standard property/renter's insurance?

2. Am I required to be bonded and if so, how much?

I'm sure there will be more questions down the line as I continue to research every aspect of an EMS school.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help.

Erik Peterson

Contact whatever government agency has EMS oversight responsibility in your state.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Your state EMS website should list most of the requirements. Your state educational websitewill list the accreditation process to be legal to call yourself a school.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome back to EMTLife!

You'll want standard property insurance, but you'll also want to make sure you have insurance for workers comp. and liability, an umbrella policy, and for your students during clinicals. A commercial insurance agent will be able to fill you in on the details.

I'm not sure if you'll need to be bonded, but I bet a quick call to your state's EMS licensing agency will have all the details.

My first stop would actually be the state licensing agency. They'll be able to tell you everything that you need in order to create a licensed school for EMS.

Good luck!