EMS degree to Medical School

msaver

Forum Ride Along
Alright, I am considering going into EMS as a career medic rather than just being a basic volunteer. I have a desire to get a degree in Emergency Health Sciences if I do this. However, I am afraid that I will become unsatisfied as just a paramedic and want to go on and get my MD. If I get my BS in emergency health sciences is it possible to get into a medical school? does a bs in ehs have everything needed to get into a med school?

JPINFV

Gadfly
You're going to need a year of chemistry, year of organic chemistry, year of biology, and a year of physics for most places. Throw in a year of humanities, year of math (calculus or calc and statistics) and a biochem course and you'll probably cover the rest.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Gpa is more important than EMS experience.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
2 of my classmates have EMS degrees (BS in EM through UPitt). They were able to get all the pre-reqs done via electives. I'd avoid calculus and statistics. It's useless for medicine and the schools that require those classes are in the minority. Make sure you get a great gpa (>3.5).

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
The long answer is...no, a BS in EHS does not have ANYTHING that will meet pre requisites for medical school other than the core curriculum, which is contained in nearly every other degree.

But neither does a BA in history or any number of other liberal arts degrees, but students with those majors get into medical school every year.

The only reason a BS in EHS would have any of the pre-requisite coursework for medical school contained in it would be because you chose to add it as an elective.

The bottom line is you will need, at a minimum, a bachelors degree in SOMETHING, and then the pre-requisite coursework, as others have pointed out.

The pre-requisites vary by school, however, the typical pre-requisites common among nearly all medical schools are:

2 semesters of major's biology with lab (not allied health, which is likely what you got in paramedic school)

2 semesters of major's chemistry with lab (again, not allied health)

2 semesters of organic chemistry with lab

2 semesters of physics with lab (can be trig or calculus based for the most part)

Along with those pre-requisites, many schools require genetics and a statistics course. Biochemistry is sometimes seen as a requirement too.

You can get all of those pre-requisites after you have gotten your degree in EHS, or you can pursue a degree in whatever and throw those courses as electives or "extra" coursework and meet the pre-requisites while obtaining your degree.

Believe it or not, there are actually some schools that do not even require a bachelor's degree. The odds of getting into one of these school sans a bachelor's degree are virtually zero, but a bachelor's is not actually a requirement in some areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Believe it or not, there are actually some schools that do not even require a bachelor's degree. The odds of getting into one of these school sans a bachelor's degree are virtually zero, but a bachelor's is not actually a requirement in some areas.

I think most schools only require 90 semester hours of credit for admission. However, as noted, good luck getting in without a bachelor's, especially with the growing percentage of applicants who have a graduate degree.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I think most schools only require 90 semester hours of credit for admission. However, as noted, good luck getting in without a bachelor's, especially with the growing percentage of applicants who have a graduate degree.

You are correct sir.

How's 3rd year treating you so far?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Why work so hard just take a vacation to the islands and get your MD at the same time.:ph34r:

JPINFV

Gadfly
You are correct sir.

How's 3rd year treating you so far?

Rotations are fun, even if the 2 I've had so far at community hospitals are really slow. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no drive to study for the shelf exams which is going to make next week suck. :-(.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why work so hard just take a vacation to the islands and get your MD at the same time.:ph34r:

...because with the increasing US medical school class sizes and relatively flat number of residencies, the foreign med school graduates (FMGs) are going to start having a real problem finding residency spots outside of IM and FM spots in BFE.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Rotations are fun, even if the 2 I've had so far at community hospitals are really slow. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no drive to study for the shelf exams which is going to make next week suck. :-(.

psssst.

step up to medicine :)

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member

Because you want to get into residency...one of the small hurdles made INFINITELY larger by enjoying a few years in the Carib.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member

medic417

The Truth Provider
Because you want to get into residency...one of the small hurdles made INFINITELY larger by enjoying a few years in the Carib.

Years? With the right money and contacts more like months. Of course could just do it all online from the comfort of my couch.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
+UWorld + Case Files for IM...

Psych: UWorld + FA for Psych Clerkship.

I used case files for IM and Surg.

Complete waste of time.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Years? With the right money and contacts more like months. Of course could just do it all online from the comfort of my couch.

Why even do the online classes. I would think after watching a few seasons of House, Grey's Anatomy, and ER (throw in some Scrubs as an elective) and you would be good to go. ;)

If that doesn't qualify you, then I don't know what would...

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
[not sure if serious.jpg]

The Step Up series is to 3rd and 4th year is what First Aid is to 1st and 2nd year.

I misunderstood (though he was making a DO dig at you). I didn't realize he was talking about the test prep material at first. I guess that's what I get for trying to play with you two before I am ready.. :sad:

Are you taking COMLEX and USMLE back to back, or do you have some time between the two?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I misunderstood (though he was making a DO dig at you). I didn't realize he was talking about the test prep material at first. I guess that's what I get for trying to play with you two before I am ready.. :sad:

Are you taking COMLEX and USMLE back to back, or do you have some time between the two?

I do not dig on DOs.

They are for all intents and purposes, doctors.

The only US school I considered going to was a DO school (LECOM)

While he only had the benefit of gross examination, Dr. A.T. Still's observation of structure implying function holds true to this day at every level of pathophysiology as well as physiology.