EMS Club

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all!

I was thinking of starting an EMS club at my university. It's still just an idea, and I don't know if anything will come of it, but I wanted to ask this great EMS community a few questions. Hopefully someone out there has been in an EMS club or wants to give me some input.

In a big broad sense, what do you think a good EMS club should offer? My university is a large state school that doesn't have an EMS program. We couldn't offer CPR classes (or could we?) or CMEs, but I would like to be a good link to the right programs for interested people.

Would community health outreach be a good idea? What about other campus activities?

I would want to make it a fun, welcoming community for EMSers and those interested in EMS. Considering the limitation of not actually having an EMS program on campus, I'm wondering if this is even a plausible idea!

Thanks in advance :)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I suggest you check into to see if your State has an EMT association. I know of many that have chapters in colleges and university settings.

Good luck,

R/r 911

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
Get a good faculty adviser, if your university requires one for your club.
We have an EMT club here at my community college, and every thing we try to do is totally shut down by the department head:glare:
We've taken to meeting without announcing it to her, and that keeps some interested folk away.
Some of the things we had in the works were hiring fairs, EMT study hall, and EMS games (like Firefighter games, but EMS only.)
We mostly keep our heads down and have clandestine study halls now.
Sigh.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
http://www.ncemsf.org These guys can point you in the right direction.

You certainly could offer CPR classes - you would just need to become (or be sponsored by) an authorized AHA or Red Cross training center, which would probably require lots of paperwork and a group of people certified as instructors. At my school, there is a division of the student government that is the "CPR Committee" - they offer CPR, First Aid, and AED classes every week during the academic quarter.

You could use that as a community outreach tool, while also holding more EMS specific functions.