EMS change of life

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Just wondering if anybody else has gone through "life changes" by switching careers drastically from EMS to any other type of employment. Just curious to see how others have felt about it and how lifestyle changed, due to myself going through said change.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
After 5 years on overnights, coupled with side jobs on days, and several more years on days and weekends, I can honestly say Yes. Loving it. Best decision I ever made. Wish I had made it sooner.

I sleep in my bed next to my wife, have been able to conceive a child, have witness him grow from being born 5.25 lbs to over 30lbs in less than 14 months, and I have weekends off. I look at people in supervisory and management positions and no longer think that they are only in their position because they weren't smart enough to do anything else or couldn't or wouldn't go elsewhere.

going from a 24/7 schedule to bankers hours has also helped with my sleep schedule, my health, and my overall sanity.

I will say this: While I don't miss the EMS agency, I do miss being on the ambulance, with a good partner, on a beautiful day. I do miss chilling in the park, I do miss going on calls with an awesome partner (one particular per diem EMT had his masters degree, and we had a lot of fun working together), but don't miss many of the ****ty partners, the micromanagement, the "do what I say, not what I do," nor do I miss the Grade A expectations with Grade C funding and equipment.

To be totally honest, I plan on keeping an EMT cert for as long as I can. I still teach (got my EMT instructor), work once a week on the FD (give or take), and have a quasi Fire/EMS job at a college that I can use for drinking money. It's an awesome feeling knowing that I work them because I want to, not because I need them to pay my bills. I might let my NREMT lapse, but I want to keep my state card.

If I was you, I would do whatever I could to keep my EMT card valid, and move it over to NJ. Find a nice little per diem ambulance job that you can do a few days or nights a month, and see if they will sponsor you for all the USAR stuff that I know you enjoyed. working per diem for a 911 service was awesome: I made my own schedule, and knew if I didn't like what was happening, I could quit and not lose any sleep over it. Or join your local volunteer squad, and play on their rescue truck.

Or if your enjoying corporate life, sit back, enjoy sleeping at night, having your weekends off, and have a nice off duty beverage.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I will say this: While I don't miss the EMS agency, I do miss being on the ambulance, with a good partner, on a beautiful day. I do miss chilling in the park, I do miss going on calls with an awesome partner (one particular per diem EMT had his masters degree, and we had a lot of fun working together), but don't miss many of the ****ty partners, the micromanagement, the "do what I say, not what I do," nor do I miss the Grade A expectations with Grade C funding and equipment.
This is exactly how i feel, while i was never "full time" i had about 30 hours a week at one point, plus another full time job.

. Or join your local volunteer squad, and play on their rescue truck.
I have to think about this one, I was declined from a volly squad when I started out, so I have a bit of a grudge(yes i know its invalid, but its there.)

If I was you, I would do whatever I could to keep my EMT card valid, and move it over to NJ.
I am currently working on this, much more difficult then I had expected. USAR interests me, i'd prefer local only, but thats too picky.

I have only just started corporate life, but i have noticed a 100% difference in my Fiance, she is much more mellow now that i don't work in LE, or do EMS at the current moment. Keeping all contacts and my ever expanding rolodex current though :).

CarnivoreMedic413

Forum Ride Along
So what kind of jobs did you guys move into? I've been in EMS for 17 years now, and am considering going over to the police side of things. Why police? Because that has some semblance of a career ladder, and the pay continues to flow while training (unlike just going back to school and going into debt with no guaranteed job at the end).

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
So what kind of jobs did you guys move into? I've been in EMS for 17 years now, and am considering going over to the police side of things. Why police? Because that has some semblance of a career ladder, and the pay continues to flow while training (unlike just going back to school and going into debt with no guaranteed job at the end).
I was simultaneous with parole and ems, now working in cyber security.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Haven't done it yet. Just laying foundations for PA school so I can make twice as much working less hours one day.

DrParasite

After 15 years in EMS, the last 10 or so FT, I am now working as an IT engineer at a financial institution, with my eye on transferring into a system administrator role or a risk management/cyber security position (interviewed for both, waiting to see what happens).

I have known MANY that went from EMS to PD or EMS to Fire.... most are happier with more money, more downtime, and less need to work 60 hours weeks to live comfortably; however the hardest part in the transition is getting hired, where for the large departments, there are 100+ applicants for every 1 position. And the small departments often lack the career path, better pay, and paid training you are looking for.

If you don't want to be a cop, or don't want to go into a burning building, going into law enforcement or fire service isn't a good idea, despite the theoretical career path, better pay, and paid training. Just a friendly word of wisdom.

And if I do end up back in Jersey, I'm definitely going to be hitting up @NysEms2117 to hook me up with a high paying cyber security gig.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I went from EMS to semi-remote IT to nursing shift work to mixed day shift and admin work.

I've generally had the best quality of life when not working shifts. I've generally had the most job satisfaction when working shifts.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
For me, I haven't noticed a life change moving from 24/48 to admin M-F. It's probably just because I stayed with the FD, so I don't have less stress now, just different stress. Yes, I get to sleep in my own bed every night, but I also have to get up 5/7 days per week and go to work. My weekly commute time has increased by 150% as well.

I've also tried the cop side of things, albeit not full time. I have a commission and occasionally work. Just some quick notes about the cop side of things
1. The adrenaline dump is COMPLETELY different. I thought I was ready to mitigate high stress encounters, but LE high stress encounters are on a whole new level
2. The backstabbing still exists, sometimes it's worse.
3. Being a (good) cop means your life belongs to the PD. It is not like EMS where you can check out at the end of your shift and come back the next day. Between court, late runs, and special duty, most full-time cops I know spend far more time at or worrying about work than I'd ever want to.
4. Don't forget, you'll work for a good chunk of your career on second and/or third shift before you can finally get the day shift. Once you finally get day shift, you'll have horrible days off. If you're hoping for M-F day shift, you'd better plan on waiting 20-25 years..

Not to be a debbie downer, because cop **** can be fun and exciting, but the biggest reason I've not made the switch is because of the above.

DrParasite

For me, I haven't noticed a life change moving from 24/48 to admin M-F. It's probably just because I stayed with the FD, so I don't have less stress now, just different stress. Yes, I get to sleep in my own bed every night, but I also have to get up 5/7 days per week and go to work. My weekly commute time has increased by 150% as well.
yes, going to work 5 days a week vs 2-3 days a week is one of the drawbacks. When I went to shift work, I said there was no way I would ever go back to 5 8s..... and yet, here I am
3. Being a (good) cop means your life belongs to the PD. It is not like EMS where you can check out at the end of your shift and come back the next day. Between court, late runs, and special duty, most full-time cops I know spend far more time at or worrying about work than I'd ever want to.
I don't know where you worked, but for my last three EMS jobs (2 in NC, and 1 in NJ), I was never able to simply work my 36 and not do work stuff. There was mandatory con ed (4-8 hours ever other month in NC, 4 hours every 4 months in NJ), late calls were all too common (we couldn't call OOS due to end of shift if you were on a truck where we provided coverage 24/7, only if you were on one of the contracted trucks that only covered days), and we were asked to pick up OT to cover last minute openings all the time. And the doesn't include your EMS side job (which was much more common in NJ than in NC).

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Fortunately it's pretty stable here. There's a decent amount of overtime but its rarely forced, usually folks are able to turn it down and someone else will take it.

Training is steady but predictable with plenty of advanced notice..

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I just made a huge change within EMS and i cant say that i regretting it. i was doing the BLS bounce, with like 3-4 jobs, one of which was a "supervisor" position. It was killing me not having any stability and i was getting too burned out by poor management and too many "other duties as assigned"

I moved into a full time night ALS job, pitman schedule, great benefits, big corporation with plenty of advancement or movement into other areas of the healthcare system. I have really enjoyed just coming in and doing my work and going home. Off every other weekend, only work 2 or three days a week.

Im still an agency director part time, but thats less work for me as its a new agency replacing volunteers and building a good organization is fun to me.

Last edited:

DrParasite

I moved into a full time night ALS job, pitman schedule, great benefits, big corporation with plenty of advancement or movement into other areas of the healthcare system. I have really enjoyed just coming in and doing my work and going home. Off every other weekend, only work 2 or three days a week.
obviously your not talking about MONOC...... I worked nights for almost 5 years, being on a truck where you can sleep if there is downtime is awesome, especially if you get paid well to do it. But there is still something to be said about working bankers hours (although the 3-4 other side jobs that comes with working shift work does get old after a while)
Im still an agency director part time, but thats less work for me as its a new agency replacing volunteers and building a good organization is fun to me.
I've always wanted to be given the change to build an agency from the ground up, with the proper funding to do the job well. Too often you inherit other people's messes or have overseeing boards who don't want to change for the better.